Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectrage against the (drum) machine
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27806&mesg_id=27826
27826, rage against the (drum) machine
Posted by qoolquest, Thu Jan-06-00 12:08 PM
when i try to drum for other folks i try to give an unique sound to each artist which is hard. dirty mind was a major influenece on this record. if you listen to it, those sounds are the same on all the songs. <P>as these songs have the same feel becasue these are d's sounds. rimshot shit is his. sometimes i laid drums first to different music to come back and hear a whole new arrangement. (2nd half of "great day inna morning was different then what i played to; "untitled" was crash free because the song wasn't written yet. i just played for 8 minutes straight.<P>however if indeed you have "voodoo" i would like to hear how you would approach the drums. i did rim because even though each song "sounds" sparse, i guarantee you we used at least 60 tracks a song (synched 2 a dat machines). and when you deal with a vocal based artist, you have to step outta the way. think of this as ball. take all music away, and you will hear d is clearly a jordan. and we all can't be a jordan. so yes am i a bench warmer? yes. if i overplayed, then it wouldn't have been balanced right.<P>and as for my stlye. sorry. my shit is that tight. but if you listen closely (and i'm assuming you do have the record) you would actually have to acknowledge that this is some of my sloppiest shit in eons. very anti machine. well this argument is over. can't wait to see what you say for the next roots record. <P><P><P><P><P><P><P>THE SOULQUARIANS<BR>chewy (quest).....jan<BR>luke (d)........feb <BR>lando (jaydee)......feb<BR>cp30 (james poyser).....jan<BR>r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan<BR>hans (chaos)........jan<BR>aniakin (lil mike)......feb<P>honorary members:<BR>kelo- soulacorn.......jan<BR>common- soulcies......march<BR>erykah- soulcies......feb<BR>