Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectum...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27806&mesg_id=27809
27809, um...
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Thu Dec-30-99 04:40 AM
i understand where dude's coming from. i noticed the same thing on badu's album. but i figured that it was just something i had to get used to. the thing that's always bothered me most about contemporary r&b--and even more so in the "neo-soul" thing--is the flaccidity of the drum sounds. when you listen to someone like stevie wonder (highly underrated drummer), you can even tune out the rest of the music and hear the story in the drums as he pounded with such wit and ebullience. even under a tender ballad, the drums gave the songs balls.<P>but i know quest knows all this (as he showed on DYWM???!!???, and he has maintained that every drummer has their own style. he has also maintained that the work on "voodoo" defines him as a drummer. maybe it's just something i'll get used to. after all, most of prince's work was unlistenable to me back in the 80s cos of the monotonous linn drum patterns, but looking back, i guess it worked in the context.