Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectPlantation Overseer Mentalities
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27744&mesg_id=27782
27782, Plantation Overseer Mentalities
Posted by fire, Thu Jan-20-00 10:20 AM
My husband previously touched on some very serious points, I as his better half will finish where he, ahem, left off.<P>Plantation mentality= keep the darkies in line, if they get out of hand whip em. If they try to run away, cut their foot off. If they run away and you catch em, hang em high. That'll learn them!!!<P>>I live just outside of Chicago and <BR>>am one of Common's biggest, however <BR>>white, fans. That being said I <BR>>have to ask about the new <BR>>cover. Is hip-hop the "water" spewing <BR>>from the "colored only" fountain, of <BR>>which us whites should not drink? <BR>>Or is it a simple reminder <BR>>of how things used to be. <P>Used to be? Ain't shit changed. <P>>What year is that picture from? <BR>>The 50s or 60s? What year <BR>>is it now? Okay, just checking. <P>My mom and dad grew up in South Carolina in the 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's, not a day goes by am I not reminded of the racism, that they had to suffer through. Hey not only did they have to drink out of separate fountains, but they couldn't shop at stores, go to schools or even look at white people for that matter. Not to mention that they HAD to pick cotton & tobacco growing up! So if I have to be reminded, Mr. I am a white guy however, you will be reminded. Whether through Common, Public Enemy, Gil Scott Heron, Al Sharpton, Oprah Winfrey, Black Hollywood, BET, Roots, Black History Class, Outkast, etc., you're gonna hear it.<BR> <BR>>I have no problem with the <BR>>pro-blackness Common has displayed in his <BR>>lyrics in the past and have <BR>>come to expect it in the <BR>>future. I shouldn't, and don't see <BR>>any fault in that. However, I <BR>>draw the line when I see/hear <BR>>anti-white propaganda. <P>You draw the line? Well, Mr. Clinton, you'd better make it a little bit bigger so all us down here can see how big your line is. Imagine how big my line is. I bet my line for tolerance is alot bigger than yours.<P> How or why would <BR>>any hip-hop artist want to insult <BR>>the demographic which keeps them in <BR>>bizness anyway? <P>Because usually insults are the only way for someone insensitive to take notice.<P>That of course being <BR>>young white males. I love people <BR>>and I love Common, and I <BR>>wonder if my $13 would be <BR>>better spent elsewhere come March 28th. <BR>>Common comes across as a religious <BR>>and intelligent man and I would <BR>>like to think he doesn't hate <BR>>an entire race because of the <BR>>past or because a small percentage <BR>>of them might hate him for <BR>>the wrong reasons. <P>Hate and recognition of hate are two totally different things. Hate is the separate fountains. Recognition of hate is not forgetting that that's the way it was. (And still is)<P>I've seen <BR>>him in concert 3 times(once with <BR>>The Roots) and he's talked about <BR>>how it's good that hip-hop can <BR>>bring so many different people together <BR>>peacfully. Is that just BS or <BR>>what? <P>Newsflash! Alot of artists that you support BS you in different ways. I don't think Common needs to hoodwink you into coming to his concerts. <P>I hope I'm wrong about <BR>>the cover and Mr. Lynn has <BR>>another meaning behind the use of <BR>>that picture. <P>If you aren't wrong, then what?<P>Also, is No I.D. <BR>>producing any of the tracks on <BR>>the new one? I sure hope <BR>>so! Besides isn't Jay Dee partially <BR>>responsible for the mostly bland music <BR>>on ATCQ's last 2 LPs? Bottom <BR>>line, one has to wonder if <BR>>Common really did lose his sense?... <P>Uh, lose his sense? You're the one spending YOUR time wondering what HE is doing. He's still gonna make music. You're still gonna wonder what he's doing. Who's the loser?<P>>People, please reply. Maybe even Mr. <BR>>Lynn himself could drop me an <BR>>encouraging note. Thank you. <P>Would big old you then purchase little bitty Common's album then?<P>I AM BLACK MUSIC<P>"I'm not only the Unclefucker President, I'm also a client" - #1 Unclefucker<P>"Mommy, can I have a new life, please?"<P>"I am not a criminal" - Richard Nixon<P>" I did not kill Tupac, I don't know who did" - Suge Knight<P>"I did not have sexual relations with that woman" - Bill Clinton<P>"I do not own, nor did I possess a gun that night" - Puff Mommy<P>"I am not a racist" - John Rocker<P>"I love black people" - Jesse Helms<P><P>