Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThe whole point
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27744&mesg_id=27775
27775, The whole point
Posted by Nesta, Thu Jan-20-00 06:04 AM
Jimbo,<P>I think part of the reason he uses that cover is to get folks to think. And quite frankly if a bunch of white kids feel uncomfortable when seeing the album cover, GREAT!!!!!!!!<P>Black folks are uncomfortable day in and day out in this society. <P>The only thing I want to point out is, why do white folks (on this board especially) get so upset when black folks want to highlight/discuss real injustices that white folks have perpetrated? <P>Black folks didn't volunteer to drink from separate fountains. That picture is an integral part of this nation's history and white folks created it. When I looked at the cover I saw it as a statement of the history of black folks in this country. We've come so far but in reality haven't gotten anywhere. But why must you look to take offense?<P>If it makes you feel uncomfortable and makes you want to reflect on race realtions today and make you REALLY think and look and see that this country is still very segregatedand the income gap is still pretty prevalent..GREAT. Cause more white folks (not just white..but affluent and middle class folks) need to look at what's really going on in this country. Just because Dow Jones and Nasdaq are setting records every week doesn't change the facts of the injustice in this country.<P>So if that cover knocks you and some of your contemporaries (again not neccessarily just whites but folks that really don't understand the struggle that continues today for folks of color) from this "We are the World" , "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony. I wish I could buy the world a Coke" state. BEAUTIFUL!<P>Like my signature says:<P><BR>"Only when lions have historians will hunters cease to he heroes." - African Proverb