Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectHere we go...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27744&mesg_id=27764
27764, Here we go...
Posted by guest, Wed Jan-19-00 09:47 PM
>I live just outside of Chicago and <BR>>am one of Common's biggest, however <BR>>white, fans. <P>It's interesting how repelent Com is to white people when he just speaks the truth. Don't you think. I mean for every one white fan like yourself there are 10 who says he's racist and everything else.<P><BR>>cover. Is hip-hop the "water" spewing <BR>>from the "colored only" fountain, of <BR>>which us whites should not drink? <BR>>Or is it a simple reminder <BR>>of how things used to be. <BR>>What year is that picture from? <BR>>The 50s or 60s? What year <BR>>is it now? Okay, just checking. <P>I didn't get that metaphore at all until another white person pointed it out on this board. It might be possible that that is exactly what he meant but it seems interesting that white people are just searchin' and reachin' for things to take offense at. Maybe he didn't mean that the music is for blacks only he meant that only we could truly understand the message in his words. That seems more likely cuz like you said, why alienate your key demographic? By the way in the last line of that are you suggesting that we "get over it?" I hope not. <P>>I have no problem with the <BR>>pro-blackness Common has displayed in his <BR>>lyrics in the past and have <BR>>come to expect it in the <BR>>future. <P>Thankee sa' for ya approval sa'<P><BR>> However, I draw the line when I see/hear <BR>>anti-white propaganda. <P>It's a TRUE photo chronicaling a REAL place in the not so distant past so my question to you is a documentary style photo of a system that your folks set up propaganda? ... Maybe you should look that word up.<P>>Common comes across as a religious <BR>>and intelligent man and I would <BR>>like to think he doesn't hate <BR>>an entire race because of the <BR>>past or because a small percentage <BR>>of them might hate him for <BR>>the wrong reasons. <P>HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH...<BR>Oh, you were serious. A SMALL percentage? The PAST? Let's ask the guy who's internal organs were damaged when the cops held him down and performed grotesque sexual acts on him in their precinct bathroom with a plunger. Lets ask the family of the brother, The New Black Panther Pary minister of Information who was got shot to death by police for brandishing an African walking stick last week. It's open season on us and cops (white and black) know that they can get away with shooting us to death on a regular. We seem to have replaced target practice and your bitchin' over a photograph?! A true photograph... of your folks... and their system. Very... fitting.<P>and he's talked about <BR>>how it's good that hip-hop can <BR>>bring so many different people together <BR>>peacfully. Is that just BS or <BR>>what? I hope I'm wrong about <P>I hope that you understand that bringing folks together does not mean suppressing the oppression that one deals with daily. These words were not meant to be harsh instead really think about why you might be offended. Take the time to meditate on that. If you are sincere in your desire to understand. The real answers will come to you. <P>"I am a cypher wrapped in an enigma, dripping with special sauce."<P>"I got so many lawyers waiting on line to see me you'd think I had tobacco leaking out of my breast implant."<P><P><BR>