Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectIn reference to Common's new album cover.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27744&mesg_id=27744
27744, In reference to Common's new album cover.
Posted by guest, Tue Jan-18-00 04:28 PM
I live just outside of Chicago and am one of Common's biggest, however white, fans. That being said I have to ask about the new cover. Is hip-hop the "water" spewing from the "colored only" fountain, of which us whites should not drink? Or is it a simple reminder of how things used to be. What year is that picture from? The 50s or 60s? What year is it now? Okay, just checking. I have no problem with the pro-blackness Common has displayed in his lyrics in the past and have come to expect it in the future. I shouldn't, and don't see any fault in that. However, I draw the line when I see/hear anti-white propaganda. How or why would any hip-hop artist want to insult the demographic which keeps them in bizness anyway? That of course being young white males. I love people and I love Common, and I wonder if my $13 would be better spent elsewhere come March 28th. Common comes across as a religious and intelligent man and I would like to think he doesn't hate an entire race because of the past or because a small percentage of them might hate him for the wrong reasons. I've seen him in concert 3 times(once with The Roots) and he's talked about how it's good that hip-hop can bring so many different people together peacfully. Is that just BS or what? I hope I'm wrong about the cover and Mr. Lynn has another meaning behind the use of that picture. Also, is No I.D. producing any of the tracks on the new one? I sure hope so! Besides isn't Jay Dee partially responsible for the mostly bland music on ATCQ's last 2 LPs? Bottom line, one has to wonder if Common really did lose his sense?...<BR>People, please reply. Maybe even Mr. Lynn himself could drop me an encouraging note. Thank you.