Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectCOMMON KNOWLEDGE...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27715
27715, COMMON KNOWLEDGE...
Posted by guest, Wed Jan-19-00 02:32 PM
a year or so ago i read an article in a magazine (i think BLAZE) that had said that Common had gotten served in a battle over in london by some kid from the mudd family. i don't remember his name, but they said that he now goes by the name 'common killer'. i don't always believe what i read, that's why i'm tryin' to find out from the source. well, is it? say it ain't so, common. SAY IT AIN'T SO!<P>peace. <P>"doin' this rap not to get noticed/...you can quote this/travelin' wit' my friends.../provin' we the dopest/...is better than/...my name../lite up in bright lights/or, wearin' a tuxedo at the grammys and fight nights" -psc<P>"its so funny how most emcees be babbling on.../about the battle, but, never stepped foot in babylon" -orion south<P>" i can't see no one f***in' wit' me like aids tainted cock/with no emotions/intelligence force slide like spock/blaming your parents for being born into a world where i'm.../sole controlla/where the wack don't last past two days.../that's why my nicknames eboula" -basik <P>"i drove f***in' wagon that you jumped on.../and got you pumped on.../the underground sound/now it thumps on" -the grouch
27716, The CHAMPION! Never lost to no nigga in London.
Posted by guest, Wed Jan-19-00 03:33 PM
Look dude, I ain't never lost no battle like that. You must have been high when you was reading the Blaze. Just for you poppin' shit, I'm ready to battle YOU!<P><BR>Common.
27717, A COMMON MISTAKE...
Posted by guest, Wed Jan-19-00 03:41 PM
i seriously doubt that i was blazin' while i was readin' blaze that day. i remember what i read! i know that's what it said 'cause i was trippin' over it. if i remember correctly, it was the issue with jay-z on the cover. but, i knew that it wasn't true. i knew that that kid got his. but, as far as battle me, that's something that you don't want to do. that's a COMMON mistake kids make all the time!<P>peace. <P><BR>"doin' this rap not to get noticed/...you can quote this/travelin' wit' my friends.../provin' we the dopest/...is better than/...my name../lite up in bright lights/or, wearin' a tuxedo at the grammys and fight nights" -psc<P>"its so funny how most emcees be babbling on.../about the battle, but, never stepped foot in babylon" -orion south<P>" i can't see no one f***in' wit' me like aids tainted cock/with no emotions/intelligence force slide like spock/blaming your parents for being born into a world where i'm.../sole controlla/where the wack don't last past two days.../that's why my nicknames eboula" -basik <P>"i drove f***in' wagon that you jumped on.../and got you pumped on.../the underground sound/now it thumps on" -the grouch
27718, COMMON ?UESTION....
Posted by guest, Thu Jan-20-00 01:49 PM
IF WHAT I "READ" IN BLAZE IS INCORRECT, THAT YOU DIDN'T LOSE, DID YOU EVEN BATTLE ANYONE IN LONDON FROM THE MUDD FAMILY? IF THAT IS ALSO INCORRECT, I WILL PROMPTLY THROW ALL THE BLAZE MAGS I HAVE IN THE TRASH FOR SPREADIN' FALSE TRUTH. IF YOU ARE JUST GIVEN THE 'COMMON' RESPONSE TO LOSIN' A BATTLE, I WILL PROMPTLY HAVE TO TELL YOU TO TAKE IT LIKE A MAN, AND STOP TRYIN' TO DENY IT.<P>peace. <P>'...you win some, you lose some. but, the good thing is that you live to walk away'. -jon weatherspoon in friday<P><BR>"doin' this rap not to get noticed/...you can quote this/travelin' wit' my friends.../provin' we the dopest/...is better than/...my name../lite up in bright lights/or, wearin' a tuxedo at the grammys and fight nights" -psc<P>"its so funny how most emcees be babbling on.../about the battle, but, never stepped foot in babylon" -orion south<P>" i can't see no one f***in' wit' me like aids tainted cock/with no emotions/intelligence force slide like spock/blaming your parents for being born into a world where i'm.../sole controlla/where the wack don't last past two days.../that's why my nicknames eboula" -basik <P>"i drove f***in' wagon that you jumped on.../and got you pumped on.../the underground sound/now it thumps on" -the grouch
27719, COMMON !!!! YOU IS DAMNED WRONG !!!
Posted by guest, Thu Jan-20-00 06:16 PM
common i would try to rush to protect you : but you skating on thin ice with me ...<P>in the help section of th boards you posted "I NEED HELP", i was having a real hard time with getting set up on the website, so i saw your name and i said to myself ..."that kat is going to have something to say that just might help me out with my problem !!". then me like a dumbass, i clicked on the message, and this nigga holla - "no i don't".....that SHIT FUCKED ME UP MAN LOL - IT WASN'T FUNNY.....ok, but on the real..i'm aight' and you aint skatin on no thin ice with me....and to address the poster's question, i don't think common got floored in the freestyling arena - his rhymes don't reveal any lyrical or rhythmical weakness (as far as i can tell), but that's just a speculation..i might be wrong, but pigs would have to be flying first.<P>"you gaze confused/ at me from the stage while my camera rewinds/ yes - flashed a contraband memoir of an obsession divine/ in this life i want just a mere fraction of your prescious time/ when i relinquish to you all of mine" - <P>from my labelmate Soir's spoken word piece, "F.A.N.S" <BR><a href="http://www.geocities.com/gabbana36" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/gabbana36<;/a>
27720, i think...
Posted by Vet, Thu Jan-20-00 12:22 PM
i think u 2 should pay a visit to the freestyle boards just to humor the masses.<P>skidmarks. they're not just for underwear anymore. - crash bandicoot<P>'i feel you like, tomaz zamot ya know' - donwill<P>yardicus: hey don't laugh! I can rock the hell out a miniskirt and some "hooker heels..."<P>yardicus: Not to mention, my superb flynes when rocking a string of pearls...<P>just think/just think/ what if you could just/just blink your tag - Black Thought HOB 99<P>bAttlin me is like some KEDS tryna mess wit NEW BALANCES.. -Sporatic<P>dick hed mcs, wit dem flacid, phalic soundin subjects- one of those jail urine roach xylophone nukkas (jurx-donwill)
27721, I gotta step in this one......
Posted by Surreal, Thu Jan-20-00 02:27 PM
I also remember reading it in some Blaze magazine that Common got destroyed by some cat from the Mudd Family. I was in shock, but I do remember reading it. I got ya back on this one george p.<BR>Surreal<BR>"They say become a doctor, but I don't have the patience/(patients)" -Com aka Petey Wheastro
27722, SOMETHING IN COMMON...
Posted by guest, Thu Jan-20-00 03:01 PM
SEE, I KNEW THAT I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE THAT REMEMBER READING THAT! I KNEW THAT THERE WAS SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT READ THAT ALSO. I'M NOT TRYIN' TO PUT ON ON FRONT STREET, COMMON. I'M JUST TRYIN' TO GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT. I'M NOT JUST RUNNIN' OFF AT THE MOUTH ABOUT IT, I'M TRYIN' COME TO THE SOURCE! <P>"doin' this rap not to get noticed/...you can quote this/travelin' wit' my friends.../provin' we the dopest/...is better than/...my name../lite up in bright lights/or, wearin' a tuxedo at the grammys and fight nights" -psc<P>"its so funny how most emcees be babbling on.../about the battle, but, never stepped foot in babylon" -orion south<P>" i can't see no one f***in' wit' me like aids tainted cock/with no emotions/intelligence force slide like spock/blaming your parents for being born into a world where i'm.../sole controlla/where the wack don't last past two days.../that's why my nicknames eboula" -basik <P>"i drove f***in' wagon that you jumped on.../and got you pumped on.../the underground sound/now it thumps on" -the grouch
27723, Common vs Chester P (Mudd Family)
Posted by guest, Thu Jan-20-00 11:13 PM
A friend of mine was at the jam in London when Common battled Chester P (a white emcee from the crew - MUDD Family). Apparently, Common had a bit too much to drink that night and as a result Chester P was able to do a bit of lyrical damage.<P>I've seen Chester perform and he is not afraid to battle anyone, demolish them and take their money off them too!!<P>Since I didn't see it myself, I don't know what really happened - but Chester P did have home-court advantage. Anyway, rhyming under the influence of alcohol is the only way I see Common failing to be on point.
27724, common didn't exactly win the battle
Posted by GumDrops, Fri Jan-21-00 02:22 AM
he was making some negative comments about the rapper chester p being white, and there was no way that you could say common won. Anyway, all rappers have lost a battle somewhere at some point.
27725, i read it, too
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Fri Jan-21-00 03:25 AM
i was about to comment on that, but i see that sonmeone got to it before me. it was in the british mag hip-hop connection about a year ago. <P>according to the mag, comon got served by chester p. hackenbush of the mudd family, and faced with the prospect of defeat, common resorted to taunting chester by saying that he can't rap cos he's white. it caused a lot of controversy among UK fans who wondered whether common was a racist and a sore loser. <P>of course, they didn't print exactly what common said, so i'm not sure if he actually made real racist comments or just said something like "you white boy," which i think would not be unacceptable under battle circumstances, where the mcs comment on each other's appearances. the UK fans eventually forgave common, ithink, but chester p got a big career boost.<P>i'll find that article later today.
27726, NOW ITS ALL MAKIN' SENSE...
Posted by guest, Fri Jan-21-00 05:38 AM
now it's comin' together. i remember hearing, prior to reading the article, that COMMON had battled someone while drinking, and 'lost'. when i read the article in the magazine, i hadn't put the both of them together. now, i'm finding out that that is what happpened (supposedly). i thank everyone for thier information, but it would be good if COMMON could resolve this matter (if he can remember it).<P>peace.<P><BR>"doin' this rap not to get noticed/...you can quote this/travelin' wit' my friends.../provin' we the dopest/...is better than/...my name../lite up in bright lights/or, wearin' a tuxedo at the grammys and fight nights" -psc<P>"its so funny how most emcees be babbling on.../about the battle, but, never stepped foot in babylon" -orion south<P>" i can't see no one f***in' wit' me like aids tainted cock/with no emotions/intelligence force slide like spock/blaming your parents for being born into a world where i'm.../sole controlla/where the wack don't last past two days.../that's why my nicknames eboula" -basik <P>"i drove f***in' wagon that you jumped on.../and got you pumped on.../the underground sound/now it thumps on" -the grouch
27727, THE COMMON APPEARANCE....
Posted by guest, Sat Jan-29-00 12:24 PM
i was wondering when the roots come to california in april will common be taggin' along to perform at the show? if so, we can take the battle to the stage if still wanna try to bring it to me for 'poppin' shit'.<P>peace.<P><BR>"doin' this rap not to get noticed/...you can quote this/travelin' wit' my friends.../provin' we the dopest/...is better than/...my name../lite up in bright lights/or, wearin' a tuxedo at the grammys and fight nights" -psc<P>"its so funny how most emcees be babbling on.../about the battle, but, never stepped foot in babylon" -orion south<P>" i can't see no one f***in' wit' me like aids tainted cock/with no emotions/intelligence force slide like spock/blaming your parents for being born into a world where i'm.../sole controlla/where the wack don't last past two days.../that's why my nicknames eboula" -basik <P>"i drove f***in' wagon that you jumped on.../and got you pumped on.../the underground sound/now it thumps on" -the grouch