Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectnice, whoever pointed out the play on words
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27672&mesg_id=27701
27701, nice, whoever pointed out the play on words
Posted by guest, Sat Jan-15-00 02:41 PM
first lesson of listening to commmon's music-listen, think, then listen again. more than likely you missed something the first time. he entertains, but he also educates, right?<P>i started thinking of a whole new meaning when i realized that com could be speaking of prophets and/or profits. especially when he comes next talking about "vendors of hate".<P>as a matter of fact, the more i look at it, i like thinking that false is a noun and profit the verb (ie the false are profiting by telling us we are sinners) rather than false being the adj and prophet being the noun. This takes this comment out of just the realm of spirituality/ Christianity and who is "demonic", and takes us into a whole nother discussion. There alot of "false" who profit, eh? Anyone who focuses on the "inherent" evil of our communities for their own gain, right? Shouldnt be too hard to think of who that is. (anyone from false prophets to the media to politicians to people building prisons to house more brown and black folks...etc). This train of thought would complement the general theme of searching for truth that i think the rest of the rhyme supports...<P>once again, common challenges us with the complexity of his rhymes. That's why I love his music, how bout the rest of y'all? <P>i would love if common would grace this thread with his presence so he could explain/enlighten.<P>Hey, quez, if your uncle heard that train of thought, think he would still not want you to admire coms lyrical skills? The alternate meaning might support your argument to appreciate com as an artist and an intelligent man.<P><BR>peace,<BR>computer love