Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectvoodoo, etc.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27611&mesg_id=27659
27659, voodoo, etc.
Posted by BigWorm, Wed Feb-02-00 06:05 AM
Damn, y'all. <P>So as soon as Voodoo dropped I had me a copy, and for the next week it went from the stereo to the car to the discman to the car back to the stereo. Chicken Grease (the drums--DIZZAMMN!!), Spanish Joint (tight groove), One Mo'Gin (I really, really felt it), Africa, Untitled. I played The Root over and over and over. I could feel everything on there from Al Green to Prince to Jimi (on Axis), but he had his own vibe in an album that NO ONE else is doing. Nowadays cats hit the studio and a month or two later drop an album out, and you can tell. I mean, Damn, y'all heard Sisqo's album? You give me free reign in a studio with some freaky singin ass cat, and in like a week I'll figure out enough shit to do that. Rhythm and Blues didn't used to be like that. You listen to anything pre-1985, and you won't hear jacked beats. But still, people are bashing the man's work of art--one of the few great R and B albums in like the last ten years--just because it doesn't sound like the evreyday shit you hear. Did y'all hear the same album? Are there two versions out there, the version I got and the booty version?<P>See, now the man's going to go drop some Puffy made half-ass shit in a couple months, with jacked beats from George Clinton songs and noises from a Texas Instrument, featuring Jay-Z, Nas, The Cash Money Crew and a duet with Mariah Carey and everyone's going to roll to it. Quest says it's going to be called James River but I'm a damn prophet, I'll tell y'all what the name of it will be:<P>D'angelo: FUCK ALL Y'ALL BITCHES, I'M GETTIN' PAID!!!! BLING BLING!!!!<P>One Love,<BR>BigPerm