Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectQuest....how you figure nobody cared about Prince?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27611&mesg_id=27640
27640, Quest....how you figure nobody cared about Prince?
Posted by nahymsa, Tue Feb-01-00 11:35 AM
I have to disagree on that point cause the way I remember it I Wanna Be Your Lover "black" radio play (I recall my grandmother changing the station & talking ish behind the track, God Bless her soul)..so did Controversy & 1999. Little Red Corvette got "white" radio play.<P>My cousins (in NY and Down South) had Prince posters - remember the 1 with the bare chest & the big afro? I distinctly remember talk about how Prince & Foster Sylvers looked alike. And there was this whole thing going on in those Blackbeat/Wordup type magazines about who was the King of R&B, who was cuter - Prince or Michael Jackson. That was back when the popular MJ posters was him with the yellow cardigan and the Thiller cover - around 82. Purple Rain didn't drop til 84!<P>From what I understand (I was definetly too young for Prince concerts but my older cousins weren't) Prince's concert audiences were mostly white but he did have a solid audience & a pretty solid black fan base prior to Purple rain which is the album that made him a "pop" act. They were making the posters & writing the articles because enough people were checking for him.