Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectAt The Risk of Sounding Like a Defector.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27611&mesg_id=27632
27632, At The Risk of Sounding Like a Defector.....
Posted by Yella, Mon Jan-31-00 11:50 AM
D'Angelo's "Voodoo" is not worth waiting five years for. It is good, and yes, better than most of the crap that is out in the mass R&B market (which isn't really saying much, all things considered). But to wait FIVE years for a CD of several tracks that aren't quite that creatively expansive, and sound awfully similar in form and execution to his previous project, just shows what a horrible mess the state of the music industry is in. Keep in mind that in the 70s, the geniuses of the day, Stevie and Marvin (and Prince in the late 70s to modern day) could pump out at least an album a year, and most of the ish was BRILLIANT. Does it really take a true creative genius five whole years to come up with some good ish, and then when it drops, for it to be not THAT far removed from its predecessor? <P>The time spent waiting was used for D to gloss magazine covers, and have publicity articles heralding D as the "Second Coming", when all we wanted was a "second album"...eff the G.D. hype!!! Real music doesn't require all that hype artificial release dates to build a big fan base....if he is a real musical genius, then it'll find an audience! <P>Now he faces the problem that the expectations on the album were along the lines of a "Songs In The Key" meets "A Kind of Blue" cum "Sign Of The Times"....and it doesn't meet that hype. Although I like the project, it surely doesn't break any new musical ground like expected. In a five year wait, we could have gotten three to five albums of similar quality from him. <P>I don't feel ripped off, but I do feel let down.<P>