Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectR U tired of defending VooDoo?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27611&mesg_id=27611
27611, R U tired of defending VooDoo?
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Sat Jan-29-00 09:48 AM
Okayplayers--<P>Tuesday was a great day for me, and I figured it would be a great day for everyone else that picked up D'Angelo's 'VooDoo'. I bought it, took the red line train home, dubbed it on MD (my portable cd player is no more :()and jammed away. At first listen, I was concerned becuase I felt some of the tracks sounded alike. But I didn't sweat it, cause it was my first time through the album, and I knew I'd find another track I liked.<P>After having 'VooDoo' in my CD player for the longest, and a copy of it on MD in my other portable player, I grew to really REALLY like it. I was hooked, I mean, 'The Root' was my first jam, along with 'Untitled'. 'Send It On' as Quest said is a jam, and I agree. So is 'Spanish Joint' and 'Greatdayinthemorning' (and I didn't forget the second song attached on the end, I just don't know what it's called). Anyway, I really love this album, and I figured others would too.<P>I was wrong. I talked to my friend Tiff, and she said she had 'VooDoo' in her hand at the music store, but put it back (strike 1) because she heard a bootleg copy of it over a month ago (strike 2), and that people had told her that the LP sounds repetitive (STRIKE 3. YOU'RE OUT!!!). Here's my thing, I don't think mainstream R&B/Soul music fans are going to dig this album like they thought they would. I think some of these people have been brainwashed with all the releases that have been coming out that are just...cookie cutter jams. They sound good, but the impact of the song lasts just long enough for the group/label to sell the CD. The radio gives it mad play, and that's all the public hears. Well, when a release like 'VooDoo' arrives, and people are used to hearing Destiny's Child and TLC, it doesn't click. They don't understand the feeling of music. All they want is a hit, something they can dance to. You have to realize that society is dumb. If you only offer them crap, eventually that's all they'll listen to. So much so that they won't know real music from weak music.<P>I'm basically saying that I'm tired of trying to convince brainwashed people not to sleep on 'VooDoo'. Some people are only going through the album one time, and then dismissing it entirely. This man has been out of the game for the longest, comes back and delivers a superb album. Now all those people who have been crying 'D'Angelo, I love your music', are sittin' at home complaining. It frustrates me, but I'll move on. If I'm the only one that appreciates this true soul music, so be it. <P><BR>--leroy b.<BR>________________________________________<BR>MOST RECENT CD'S BOUGHT: Guy "III", Jagged Edge "J.E. Heartbreak", D'Angelo "VooDoo"