Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectnot sure, hard decision
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27546&mesg_id=27561
27561, not sure, hard decision
Posted by atruhead, Fri Feb-04-00 07:29 AM
This is a toss up for a few reasons<P>1) When illmatic dropped, that was it, here he was, rakims successor, the hip-hop nation knew it. It took cuts like U.N.I. verse at war, the bizness, the bitch in yoo for people outside of chicago to recognize com. I copped resurrection in summer 98 and its been a favorite of mine ever since, I rarely even spin illmatic anymore and if I do it will just be a choice cut or two.<P>2) Both gifted lyricists, lets look at how they blew. Nas caters to the hardcore thugs, big willy wanna bes, and those looking for good lyrics, nas escobar was still nice just his beats became wack. blame steve stoute/trackmasters. Com became big with the ladies (evidenced by the summer 99 wetlands jam session) after "the abortion" jawn. Me myself it took hearing real nigga quotes on future flavas to go out n cop "one day", and that was what woke me up. <P>Anyway my point is being that cats were up on illmatic from jump of course its fair to say that its better, beats WAY better, but com came with it lyrically, my grandkids are gonna be coming to me catching slick things off this album that I didnt get (not really since I have almost every song printed out), but I can tell more thought was put into resurrection than just "aight im gonna scribble down the best thug shit, get some bangin beats and the pj's will love it" both albums are excellent but I think com gets my vote for witticism, introspection, and lyrical presence that the world slept on until about 97"<P><P>"Intellectual property I got the title and the deed, I pay rent with the tears and sweat and what I bleed"- Talib Kweli<P>"You got hamburger beef I'll french fry ya cause drag done ate your food"- Drag-On