Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectBigger issue
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27407&mesg_id=27433
27433, Bigger issue
Posted by guest, Thu Feb-03-00 12:50 PM
Having read a number of the responses in this thread, most of which seem to be from Chicago heads, let me ask this question: Is it possible that we (Com's fans/listenters) really want him to recreate a classic Chicago hip-hop album and moment--full of Chicago references that most east-coast fans would totally miss-- that he feels, by definition, would be too limiting at this stage of his career? In other words, we get a warm feeling listening to Resurrection. But maybe ?uest's take on the album is more representative of other fans from outside of the midwest (i.e. that Resurrection was a good album but not a classic). Does Com possibly feel that he HAS to get with his east coast brethren to create an album with a more "universal" appeal? Not saying I agree, just posing a question. Selfishly, I hope "Like Water..." has references to Stony Island and Hyde Park (sh*t, even Moo and Oink!)-- like he said, "this is me". But maybe Com feels he's past that. I guess we'll wait to see whether this change is one we'll enjoy better than the old days, but I wish he hadn't "abandoned" his artistic ties to the Chi.