Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectnow now now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27407&mesg_id=27408
27408, now now now
Posted by qoolquest, Tue Feb-01-00 10:26 PM
whenever someone becomes a cult figure, people in an attempt to be ahead of the pack before others jump on the bandwagon start to claim love and admiration for products of said artist. but the truth is. common always had a beautiful ability to use words. but i'm sorry. none of common's albums hold classic status to me. (although ressurection had stellar moments). when i say classic i mean all the way no fast forward material. look, can you at least hear this record? i'm tired and i gotta stop this 3am defending my art shit.<P><P><P><P><P><P><P>>Yesterday I was talking to a friend <BR>>about the new Common LP. We <BR>>compared our preconceptions of what it <BR>>would sound like, we both agreed <BR>>that Com has shown tremendous growth <BR>>from album to album, however we <BR>>disagreed on the production aspect of <BR>>the album. I thought that he <BR>>should have stuck with No I.D., <BR>>Doug Infinite and Y-Not, instead of <BR>>going with Jay Dee, Primo and <BR>>the Roots. But he thought that <BR>>the outside producers would help him <BR>>develop more on the new album <BR>>instead of falling into "monotony" (relatively <BR>>speaking), however on his first three <BR>>albums he stuck with the same <BR>>crew and grew each time. And <BR>>no disrespect to Primo (my all <BR>>time favorite prodcucer), The Roots, and <BR>>Jay Dee, I think that if <BR>>it isn't broke then don't fix <BR>>it. In my opinion, No I.D. <BR>>(along with Ski, but I'm not <BR>>gonna get into that) is by <BR>>far the most underrated producer in <BR>>Hip Hop and it's a shame <BR>>that he's not gonna be on <BR>>the new album after helping make <BR>>the first three classics. It's even <BR>>more of a shame because he <BR>>rarely works with artists outide of <BR>>Com. Maybe I'm just afraid of <BR>>change but after the beautiful beats <BR>>on the other albums, I don't <BR>>see why the winning formula should <BR>>be changed. Does anyone know why <BR>>Com decided to change his production <BR>>crew? Has No I.D. been doing <BR>>any other producing lately? (His album <BR>>was real cool and the instrumental <BR>>LP he put out "Invisible Beats" <BR>>is nice as well) Also is <BR>>Mista Sinista still gonna be Com's <BR>>DJ? <P><BR>THE SOULQUARIANS<BR>chewy (quest).....jan<BR>luke (d)........feb <BR>lando (jaydee)......feb<BR>cp30 (james poyser).....jan<BR>r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan<BR>hans (chaos)........jan<BR>anakin (lil mike)......feb<P>honorary members:<BR>kelo- soulacorn.......jan<BR>common- soulcies......march<BR>erykah- soulcies......feb<BR>