Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectA Common LP without No I.D., Good or Bad?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27407&mesg_id=27407
27407, A Common LP without No I.D., Good or Bad?
Posted by Focus, Tue Feb-01-00 09:09 PM
Yesterday I was talking to a friend about the new Common LP. We compared our preconceptions of what it would sound like, we both agreed that Com has shown tremendous growth from album to album, however we disagreed on the production aspect of the album. I thought that he should have stuck with No I.D., Doug Infinite and Y-Not, instead of going with Jay Dee, Primo and the Roots. But he thought that the outside producers would help him develop more on the new album instead of falling into "monotony" (relatively speaking), however on his first three albums he stuck with the same crew and grew each time. And no disrespect to Primo (my all time favorite prodcucer), The Roots, and Jay Dee, I think that if it isn't broke then don't fix it. In my opinion, No I.D. (along with Ski, but I'm not gonna get into that) is by far the most underrated producer in Hip Hop and it's a shame that he's not gonna be on the new album after helping make the first three classics. It's even more of a shame because he rarely works with artists outide of Com. Maybe I'm just afraid of change but after the beautiful beats on the other albums, I don't see why the winning formula should be changed. Does anyone know why Com decided to change his production crew? Has No I.D. been doing any other producing lately? (His album was real cool and the instrumental LP he put out "Invisible Beats" is nice as well) Also is Mista Sinista still gonna be Com's DJ?