Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subject"Like Water For Chocolate!!"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27231&mesg_id=27231
27231, "Like Water For Chocolate!!"
Posted by guest, Wed Feb-09-00 11:00 AM
Last night, i got to hear "Like Water for Chocolate", and my ears are still ringing from what i heard. From the opening intro, you instantly know that this isnt your ordinary hip hop record. This album is the most daring and best hip hop albums that i've heard in a looooong time. I can understand why the Source said it may be to adult for their audience, but that is even more a reason to give Common a cover, because this reperesents a change in hip hop and music for that part. I was literally knocked from my chair at least six or seven times when listening to it!! I dare anyone to label this album without taking anything away from the soul and depth of it. Pure bliss!! "Hot Shit" is the trunk- rattling funk featuring Jaydee (who does like 6 tracks and some co-production)! Common staying true to kicking some battle shit with Jay jumping in on the chorus. "Questions" is "What!?" taken to the next level with (is that Monie Love?!) and Mos Def doing adlibs! "Time Travellin'", "Funky For U" and the Esvee joint are all bannanas! Than u have the story-based joints "Payback" (another in the stolen moments saga) and the brilliant Mc Lyte joint (i forget the title). Anyone thinking she still souldnt bring it will be in for a surprise, ecspecially playing the role of a woman getting pimped. The interlude preceeding it is hilarious! The soulaquarians joint is ridiculous! But the masterpiece on the album is "Ghetto Heaven" with D'Angelo! The beat is on some beautifully-rich, multi-layered keys vibe!! This is THE one!! Oh lord, this IS heaven! i dont even want words to spoil this, u just have to hear it. Perfect! The only sore thumb, in my opinion, is the "sixth sense" beat, which just doesnt blend with the Jaydee/SoulAquarian vibe... but i'm not complaining. Even though i think Resurection is a classic, i think this surpasses it as Com's great musical achievement! It perfectly balances the b-boy soul of Recurection and the growth and maturity of "One Day". It just sounds like he's having so much fun with his music and comes across lovely on the album, the vibe is just beautiful! I'm so glad Okayplayer is doing what its doing (taking over the world!!! haahaaaahaaa!)<BR>becuase with the Roots, D"angelo, Common, and (to some extent) Esvee, they're laying down the groundwork for a musical- cleansing in hip hop and music in general for that matter. Like Com says "The revolution will not be televised, the revolution is here." So listen closely y'all, u don't want to miss it. One love...