Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectgood post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27076&mesg_id=27101
27101, good post
Posted by guest, Mon Feb-07-00 01:06 PM
I think it's a combo of factors that have some men all squeamish.<P>Is it about....<P> Homophobia? No doubt, cause the culture of heterosexuality is so strong (and ignant) in our society that insecure men think - Man, if i look at a nekkid man i might "turn" gay.<P> Double-standard? Yup, cause you KNOW we've been seeing nekkid women in videos and movies for years, and now that the ladies get some voyeuristic pleasure men folks cry foul.<P> Stoicism? Well, lemme venture the opinion that it's D getting emotionally naked that makes it uncomfortable for some to watch - bruh seems to be in soul-searing pain in that video.<BR> <BR> Narcicism? The only twinge of discomfort i felt when i was watching 'untitled' was: damn, D must have spent YEARS in the gym to get that toned! ** why would you need or want to spend so much time "perfecting" your own body? if it's just cause you want to look good, that's ......okay, i guess. If you do it to sell albums (which the video certainly appears to be doing), well.....i'm not sure how i feel about it - mixed feelings at best. but since i love the album and more people will enjoy it now....i grudingly have to admit the ends justify the means. Did I just say that?<BR> <BR>** D sez in the NY Times article: "No," he said, in answer to an obvious question, "that's just my natural build. Right before the video I did, like, one little session in the gym."<BR> <BR>Yeah right!<P>We have come in the tradition of burning bushes, burning ghettos, burning spliffs, and the ever-burning candles of our bedrooms and silent chambers. We have come bearing instruments and our voices: falsetto and baritone, percussion and horns. We have come adorned in the apparel of the annointed: leather and feathers, jeans and t-shirts, linen and cashmere, and even polyester. We have come to seduce and serenade the night and the powers of darkness. We speak of darkness, not as ignorance, but as the unknown and the mysteries of the unseen." -- Saul Williams, the "Voodoo" Manifesto