Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectYeah but.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27076&mesg_id=27096
27096, Yeah but.....
Posted by Nesta, Tue Feb-08-00 05:51 AM
>i just think his nakedness is not <BR>>as spiritual as people would have <BR>>you believe. i think it's just <BR>>some shit to get 1)controversy, and <BR>>2)females excited. i think the whole <BR>>idea that his nakedness is some <BR>>sort of "soul-baring" is kind of <BR>>contrived. <P>I can't dispute your opion of the video. But I ask: Men have never felt a video was contrived before to (1) get controversey or (2) get MEN excited? Hell yeah it was contrived to a degree. D admitted it was his manager's idea. But if men got pissed off and flew off the handle every time we saw a contrived video (i.e. every damn Hype Williams video) that was designed to either be controversial or get us excited, we wouldn't have time for much else<P><BR>>my opinion on the video? it's dull. <BR>>and i think he kind of <BR>>played himself by basically biting maxwell's <BR>>similar video. <P>I don;t it was similar to Max's at all.<P>d'angelo was always cool <BR>>to me because he appealed to <BR>>women, but seemed like he was <BR>>a regular fella at the same <BR>>time. <BR>this video is on some <BR>>ol' superstar sex symbol stuff. i <BR>>think he was trying to snatch <BR>>up some of usher and backstreet's <BR>>teeny-bopper hoes... <P>This kills me..the left and right video has strippers and shit in it (I thought it was pretty wack because I COULDN'T SEE THE STRIPPERS) and this one video now means he's trying to be a sex symbol...and stealing Backstreet Boys fans...Come <BR>on now? Have you seen those Backstreet videos?<P>As far the sex symbol thing, he's been that for awhile, like i said before i've known plenty of women that wanted to suck his toes well before the Untitled video, now they'll suck his toes and well.....Did this help him sell more albums HELL YEAH!!!!!!! I can see that someone thinks it's dull..I can see that!!!!!<P><BR>>a lot of cats probably are vehement <BR>>about changing the channel because they <BR>>figure that watching a naked guy <BR>>makes them (in the words of <BR>>nore) "straight 'mo like that maxwell <BR>>video". <P>Now that's the crux of the matter right there my friend. If you simply think it's contrived or dull, you'll choose to do as I assume you do and change the channel or say "Man that shit is wack!" But you won't cover your eyes like Medussa's trying to ice grill you. That's my only point. You don't have to think that the video is some modern masterpiece or some rah rah shit like that, but you must admit that if this video gets you all extar heated and upset it has to be a little more than you're upset that D has reverted to typical marketing techniques with his videos<P><P>Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap the motherfucker upside the head...