Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectD'Ang and homophobia
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27076&mesg_id=27076
27076, D'Ang and homophobia
Posted by Nesta, Mon Feb-07-00 09:43 AM
PLEASE UNDERSTAND!!!! I"M NOT CALLING D HOMOPHOBIC. <P>But you see, I just finished reading this article <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/library/style/weekend/020600dangelo-video.html" target="_blank">http://www.nytimes.com/library/style/weekend/020600dangelo-video.html<;/a> on the different reactions men and women seem to have in response to D's Untitled video. I know that the video was discussed in a post before, a post I really didn't read so forgive me if this is too repetitive.<P>But my question is what are bruhs really scared of from this video. I'm not here to argue whether or not it was a good video, but I just want to know why do so many men have a visceral reaction to the video. One of my boys had a real bullshit reaction to the video (homophobic) while another one of my friends simply said: "D'Ang can do shit like that and make it work!" <P>The first time I saw the video it caught me off guard for real. I just wasn't expecting it. I was ready for the typical wine, dinner, jewels, and song video shit. But then I watched it and I said to myself " Damn, he got that shit off!" I felt like damn the song is about some raw emotion so why not sing that joint butt nekkid. I though it was pretty damn clever and fuck it I'll say it, if Alanis Morrisette coud walk around nekkid and ride a bus, why couldn't D sing a song nekkid.<P>You see, bruhs are always treated to our fair share of T&A in music videos and thank God for it. Now it does denigrate women in many ways and helps to further objectify women and promote an image of beauty that is neither realistic or even particularly desirable. But I like my T&A in certain videos. If you gonna be on some gangsta, bitch this, bitch that, money this , money that you might as well round out your mysoginy with some butt nekkid women. But through it all, women put up with these videos (way more than they should in my opinion) and don't go crazy when these videos come on, but when Untitled comes on, some men have a real visceral, angry ass reaction.<P>What is it?<P>I know some use the excuse that he's dumbing down his art by trying to be a sex object. Sheeiitt, I knew a truck load of women that wanted to suck the man's toes since the first time they heard "Lady". Others wanna say that it was simply a marketing stunt to gee buzz on his album. It might very well have been. Fuck it, I think it was, but so what? Do marketing stunts ususally cause such reactions in men? We are all pretty used to marketing stunts so is that the problem? <P>I'll stop here, but why does a bare chested man cause such a reaction?<P><BR>Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap the motherfucker upside the head...