Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectadressing the ignorance of the mass
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27044&mesg_id=27045
27045, adressing the ignorance of the mass
Posted by guest, Thu Feb-17-00 01:32 PM
as i read your post, my feelings were mixed. Mos intended that album as an expression of the beauty of being black. The beauty that includes the struggle of his ancestors, and the overcoming of some of society's obstacles. Yet, I feel it isn't necessary to attack white people as a whole, which he clearly did, in order to contrast the beauty of blackness to the (as you stated) "white world". Especially when he is referring to genres of music as black. Last time I listened to music it didn't have a color. Maybe the album just wasn't for me, maybe I'm not listening to the right music, or I was missing something. So I decided not to pay my $17.95 to support someone else's views.<P>Being a female of mixed descent (italian and romanian/boricua), I can't begin to say that I empathize with the struggle of Black Americans. Especially in the subject of slavery. But lets face it, every ethnicity or culture went through some sort of struggle to establish themselves in this land we call the "united" states. However, many white AND black(in skin)have lost touch with their roots. <P>You said, "If we don't know where we been, HOW THE FUCK CAN WE KNOW WHERE WE ARE HEADED?" ..It is one thing to be aware of your history, but another to re-live it by attaching a societal stigma to your view (that white people can't relate to black people, as if we are seperate species)..and no matter whose world people may claim it to be.. this world remains created by a Higher Power..<BR> <BR>as gandhi said "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." .. It is important for us to stop attaching traditional views to the present..but to innovate and constantly change the views to be more positive.. <P>Being a third generation American, I am still aware of the way my descendants were treated as outcasts in this society. My Romanian grandfather came to America, escaping communism and Nazis, to find a white man burning down his car because he tried to form an alliance among his immigrant co-workers. My Puerto Rican and Italian grandparents were offered the lowliest of jobs or no jobs at all, and struggled to stay alive, dodging typical stereotypes and racism. <P>That's exactly what all of this comes down to. Racism. That's where it stemmed from, and it has grown into something that blinds people from seeing past it..and we use the simple word "racism" to describe this as if it's some un-complex matter..<P>I have experienced racial discrimination myself by the overwhelming ignorant mass that plagues society.. my family has been discriminated against by black AND white people... and yet I have no anger towards them..i know what it's like to be called a "cracker bitch" by black or latino people I don't even know, walking down the street..Since the color of my skin must describe so much about my background or my views..or be called a "WAP" or a "spic" by white and black people..and never once have I judged a person, black or white..their unknowing and ignorance of what my family has been through only strengthens my understanding of the outside world..<P>I don't look to other people to understand my life, I live my life based on love.. the only one true thing I've ever experienced, from both black and white people....no stigmas attacheD.<P>WE, as people, must accept ourselves..accept our backgrounds..and accept the past.. once we accomplish this, we will be able to unite based on intellect and love, rather than alienate ourselves from people because of their skin color, believing that the person behind the skin cannot understand us for that simple reason.. until we can accomplish peace within ourselves, it seems absurd to sit here and stress BT kissing a white female because we can't ACCEPT it..<P><P>-cassandrA<BR>-prophe-tEss-<BR>-ca*tESs*trophE <P><BR>