Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: you proved why he's not the best in your own post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=2699&mesg_id=2809
2809, RE: you proved why he's not the best in your own post
Posted by kinetic94761180, Tue Aug-03-04 04:10 PM
>He has no charisma.

>watch his interviews on Rap City. Look at him in the DSN video.

>He's just the cooled-out, chill cat that's just there. he spits raw unadulterated fire then sits down.

-so he loses out 'cause he's not an "actor"?

>listen to Hurricane (the track with Common and Mos on it). I speak for most people when i say that I don't sit there and wait for Thought's verse to come on...it's Mos or Com's verse that I wait for.

-you don't have to wait 'cause bt has the 1st verse.

>The reason taht cats sleep on him and the reason that he's not the best ever is because of this total lack of charisma. he don't stand out...simple as that.

-right.

>it's why he's so perfect as part of the Roots. the music is charming and full of soul and vigor and attracts you to it, while you can listen to a dope MC rip it. but BT over beats by anyone else other than the Roots would be boring...let's face it.

-i've heard him spit over programmed beats. 'sounds like the same 'thought to me.

>it's the same reason why Don't Say Nuthin isn't a great track...it's standard fare for contemporary rap, and there's nothing about BT that screams "LISTEN TO THE WORDS I SPIT!". on the other hand, Jay-Z, Common, Nas, Pac, and Biggie could/can all spit over a weak or lackluster beat and you STILL wanna listen. not the same with Black Thought.

-i simply don't agree. it's like you're relating it back to that "he don't say nuthin'" shit. dsn isn't a bad example.

>Thought is wildly slept on and is definitely top 15 or 20, but the fact that not many people remember him in their "top" lists illustrates the fact that he will always be the no-frills MC with very little charisma.

-i don't think that's why. i don't think he gives a shit either way. & that's money to me. what's charisma matter when you get the job done.

>charisma is probably the deciding factor in how dope an MC is...because it's the saem thing as dynamics. it's like listening to a saxophone player who's technically great but doesn't play from the heart. it's not hte same...you don't feel like BT is exposing himself and giving you everything he has, and although i think he actually does have a dynamic personality, he doesn't come off that way on record.

-i whole-heartedly disagree.

>I put these MC's above him, and there's plenty more that I like better but wouldn't say ARE better:

>KRS
>Rakim
>Nas
>Jay
>Biggie
>Pac
>Common

that's a strong-ass list.

-i've grown tired of arguing against them. they're all great mc's. bt included.

>I have to add that I think it's ridiculous that people value empty verbiage over meaningful, poetic rhymes. and that's what it comes down to with BT versus cats like Common and Nas.

-see, this is what i don't get. the closer you get to analyzing the art of this shit, the more you lose me. there's no way you gon' get me to believe that black thought ain't as artistic & as profound as the next mc, when it comes to mc'ing.

no way.

who gives a shit what they do to get noticed.