Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWhat Defines a man....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=26947&mesg_id=26970
26970, What Defines a man....
Posted by NazDak, Sun Feb-20-00 10:17 AM
It amazes me.<BR> <BR> A man can live his life achieving so much....He can produce Gold and Platinum Albums one after the other. He can Be a person who loves his fans and gives back to them regularly, and unconditionally. He can share his innermost feelings, emotions and thoughts with people he doesnt even know, in the hopes that it will somehow fall upon a listening ear, and have a positive effect on somebody's life. A man can dedicate his heart and soul to the betterment an entire movement, and raise the standards of an entire field...an entire CRAFT.<P> It amazes me.<P> That a person can gain the admiration of his peers, both personally, and professionally....can attain an amazing amount of respect, defeat ALL the odds and boundaries that have faced him in his life, and still hold true to his ideals. Ideals being those of which are TRULY important in life...Loved ones, Friends, and Family.<P> And it amazes me, <P> That in the same breath...in the blink of an eye...a person can take every one of those achievments and respectable qualities...all that a man has worked for, believed in, and given of himself to not only his friends, family, and associates...but to a CULTURE....and completely turn them to dust with a few ill-thought words and sentences. Just to belittle that person, and hold his own weight in a disagreement. To WIN...and to raise himself above his opposition. Dispite the insignificance of their disagreement.<P> Mans own inhumanity to man. Plain and simple. "To lift myself up, I'll bring any one who opposes my opinions, values, and feelings, down to the ground." It is THESE actions that Validate the "Crab in the Pot" theory, which has been a stigma that has brought down minorities for years. It is THIS way of thinking/acting, that put Africans on slave ships, and Jews in ovens. And it is is same way of thinking that separates so many people across the world today.<BR> <BR> "Every man for himself!"<P> Its unfortunate, though, that so many people haven't learned that they AREN'T by themselves. That we live in a world where cooperation and respect are 2 qualities NECESSARY for human beings to live together in peace. No, I'm not a hypocrite. I too, am guilty of this same crime at times. I realize that. <P> But to personally attack a person based on what you "THINK" you know about their personal life and business...knowing that you can remain hidden behind a computer screen, and that this person REALLY has no way of defending himself (not that it is needed) against your blatantly Crude, immoral remarks against their character. To bring about "Points" which hold absolutely NO validity what-so-ever, in an attempt to come across to onlookers as "Witty," "Triumphant," or "Tough???"<BR> <BR> I'm sorry. But that just doesnt seem human to me. I wont even attack your character, because frankly, from what I've read from your past Threads/responses, you have none. However, what I DO think YOU should question yourself as to why you're here. True, this is an open forum for discussion, and your constitutional right (unfortunately) grants you the ability to remain among us and express yourself freely. <BR> But remember, this is a Website dedicated to the same people you seem to dispise. And no, I dont just mean The Roots, D'angelo, The jazzyFatnastees, or Common. I'm also referring to the posters...the contributors to this site. The people who have made it as successful as it has become. I think its become quite evident over the course of the past 9 months, that Okayplayer.Com has developed into far more than just an artist website. No. It has become an *environment*...and sometimes the overall "feeling" of this environment sways from "friendly and loving" to "Chaotic." Still, what makes this place the way it is are the Contributors. We, in the end, are the ones who cause this place to become stabilized again. I dont think anyone who contributes to this message board does so with the intent of disrupting the environment we have worked so hard to create. Except, of course..for you. <P> No, this does not begin with your shameless attack on ?uestlove...it goes back to your foul mouthed, harsh review of Roots material, such as the Legondary EP, and your attempt to attack other posters who have contributed Reviews, opinions, etc..accusing them of plagiarism, ignorance, etc (See: GoodRev's "Born again" Review..The Lesson).<BR> So, if this is the case, and your sole intent IS to draw attention to yourself, and to become such a negative, disruptive force in On these message boards...then...Why are you here??<BR> There are other places for you to concentrate your anger. Go to Chatrooms around the net. Start your own message board, head to Rec.Music.Hip-Hop, or some other forum which does not seem to frown upon the actions of people like you. But if you insist on staying here, RESPECT the people around you....Particularly the people who MAKE this site work.<BR> This is An artist website. Remember that. Its not made for the people who dont like what an artist represents. Its made for those of us that appreciate all that an artist has done for a particular genre of music, what they represent, etc. Its made for the FANS. So, if you're not a fan, and you dont appreciate what this is all about...wouldnt it be best for all of us if you just took your opinions elsewhere?<BR> Think about that.<BR>PEACE,<BR> NazDak<P><BR>