Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectD'
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=26717&mesg_id=26866
26866, D'
Posted by guest, Sat Feb-12-00 04:28 AM
dear friend D and the rest of okayplayers:<P>i'm a new log on okayplayer, so please understand i don't really know how to do this kinda thing.<P>here goes a little long tale about me and d'angelo. hope U comprehend and not get upset by the lenght of this message, please.<P>i've just bought and listened 4 the first time "voodoo". i live in madrid (spain), so u should figure out i've had a hard time looking 4 it at the few import record stores.<P>everything happens 4 a reason, so they say, so i B-lieve. i got my disc-man headphones on, and this brings me back in time; again to B-lieve i what i said above about "everything".<P>my girlfriend, mónica, bought this 4 me as a pre-sent last christmas. and certainly it has brought me a lotta pre-sents!<P>last july, i was in NY 4 my summer holy-dayz. i happen 2 b a great friend of O >'s music. sure everything happens 4 a reason! while in NY i found out that he was performing an aftershow at the "life" club after the "yahoo!" awards. sure i couldn't B-lieve it!<P>while in-side the club i came near 2 some1 dressed all in white who looked so familiar 2 me. after i passed by and by him a couple of times, i couldn't B-lieve my eyes: it was D'Angelo!!! this took me back in time in a mind trip of my own.<P>the moment i listened 2 d's first album. who introduced me 2 his music being a poor white guy in such a difficult place for sould music lovers as spain is? well, easy: one of O >'s interviews.<P>what do i like about D'? well, same as why i like O >, maxwell, etc. S-O-U-L music... what d's music mean 4 me? it rocks my soul. as the "voodoo" booklet says, his music has the best of the past in-side the pre-sent and future. these dayz the world is in-need of a rebirth of the soul. soul singers have found their place again commercially (not that they were outta r lifes).<P>it's not just that d's music i like, not; it's that it makes me learn and makes me grow up spiritually. i've began my own spiritual journey 5 years ago, trying 2 reach 4 my higher-self.<P>this goes back 2 the recent past at the life club in NY. why do i B-lieve in? GOD, LOVE, mankind's brodas and sistas, friends... i was so afraid 2 aproach D' that i finally gave up. plus he was around beautiful women... so i thought he wouldn't B interested in a white spanish guy telling him a tale about how much i like his music; he's probably tired of that same line. i was so afraid of upsetting him, i don't wanna worship either. what d's music means 4 me is more than 'nuff. he's so aware of how moving his music is 4 his friends (i don't like "fan" from sort of "fanatic").<P>so now if i may have the chance that D reads this i wanna tell him i'm sorry 4 not saying hi! 2 him and shake hands. thank U 4 the music, U r a very inspirational person and artist 4 so many, unique in ur own way; that is: Ur inspirations and Urself, my friend. 1derful is a so beautiful word 4 Ur soul, d.<P>dear okayplayers friends out there: please 4-give me if i upset U with this 2 long tale. at least i'd like that U c it as an inspirational and fony tale from just a friend out there...<P>thank U 4 listening...