Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectYES! IT IS THAT GOOD!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=26506&mesg_id=26568
26568, YES! IT IS THAT GOOD!
Posted by allday, Mon Feb-28-00 07:17 AM
Now I just heard an unmastered, real audio version of lwfc on hiphopaudio.com and my friend and I were bugging out. The evolution of Common's sound is almost like a return to simpler, organic music of African tribes or something. The intro song (I think) Time traveling, the second track, Questions, the one about Assata Shakur etc... I could go on & on but I feel like this is a continuation of stellar albums from a family of musicians. (Lauryn, Outkast, The Roots, The Jazzyfatnastees, Mos, D'angelo and now Common) <BR>Both my friend and I agree that Time sounds very, very similar to the playa intro on Voodoo, the way the beat comes in with talking in the background and that the Questions beat is on some "I don't know" tip, (even Com's rhyming style is similar) but IT SOUNDS DAMN NICE!!!!!!<P>Common's musical evolution, is just that, growth. He is still finding his way musically and lyrically but I always find that his shit is inspiring. <P>Watch, in a couple of years we'll all be saying how amazing and important this album is to the annuals of hip-hop music. Just like when Miles Davis changed his sound on Bitches Brew, he was chastized for it by jazz heads. But ten years later (or so) it was being hailed as a classic. <BR>Common's new album is next.<P>Like water for chocolate; the hip-hop equivalent to Voodoo (I have a feeling I'm going to catch flak for that one! Ah well!!!)