Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectradio! sucka never play me!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=26367&mesg_id=26402
26402, radio! sucka never play me!
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Mar-08-00 06:15 AM
. <BR>>It's quite suprising that ?uestlove is Common's <BR>>executive producer and they did'nt release <BR>>a more radio friendly single.This is <BR>>the same group that did 'you <BR>>got me' and 'what you want' <BR>>not to mention this new song <BR>>that's gettin all the airplay in <BR>>Philly. <P>because i never create jams with the intent of "wow this is going to make radio". up until recently i used to lose sleep over how many mics i got in the source, and what position will the records i produce wind up in on the village voice pazz and jop awards.<P><BR>believe it or not "what" and "got" wern't even radio attempts (and if you listen close, they really don't follow the status quo formula of "radiology") we had met rae (from the tonies) in sac and he said he wanted to get down with us, and being though the tonies were my favorite band i said "YES!" then we noticed that none of the jams we had were "singable". so i took a barry white line and replayed it. during the mixdown bob had it sounding like radio. i was somewhat shakey about it, then i thought...."well i'm a musician...and this sounds like music" even though you aren't pulling my card or anything i just wanted to explain the mindthought when we go into work mode.<P>as far as com is concerned, he just wanted to make something so different. he wanted a soul record. i thought that was an odd request until i realized that except for reruns (goin to fatbeats down the street to purchase our umpteenth gang starr record) and a few underground cats (no not slum....) i pretty much gave up on hip hop. not as a whole, but as in most of my time i listen to tony allen, stevie wonder, and marvin gaye. and we knew that some cats would feel uncomfortable with it (singing on wax is like kryptonite to some underground heads] i felt our saving grace was that this dosn't sound like radio.<BR>i dunno, perhaps we can set a new standard in which you don't have to pick the hottest cat out to "piggyback" yourself on radio. or maybe when commercial artist's won't be afraid to work with the artist that they truly like and not who is more radio friendly. <P>just because a dj's audience approves of a song and says it's "hot" does that mean it is?<P>i mean crack is popular with the masses, does that mean.....<P><P><BR>THE SOULQUARIANS<BR>chewy (quest).....jan<BR>luke (d)........feb <BR>lando (jaydee)......feb<BR>cp30 (james poyser).....jan<BR>r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan<BR>hans (chaos)........jan<BR>anakin (lil mike)......feb<P>honorary members:<BR>kelo- soulacorn.......jan<BR>common- soulcies......march<BR>erykah- soulcies......feb<BR>zack- soulicorn.......feb<P>(AFTER SEEING MY PERFORMANCE FOR THE FIRST TIME, MY IDOL STEVE FERRONE EMAILED ME THIS LETTER.....)<P>Opening fill from "person to person". ....... $100.00<BR>Cute fill betwween hi hat, bass drum and snare ....... $1500.00<BR>Horn line from "Love Your Life" ..... $10,000.35<BR>Breakfast with Ferrone.... Gratis<P>The reason you are being charged for the horn line is that it was probably your idea to use it!<P>You da man! Great show! Really nice pocket! Call or e-mail sometime, and take care out there.<BR>818-***-****<P>God Bless,<P>Stephen Ferrone.<BR>