Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWTF.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=26247&mesg_id=26310
26310, WTF.
Posted by J_Sun, Mon Mar-06-00 01:19 PM
While I understand about the record companies pimping artists, the reality is this- you ain't gonna send Common no money personally, so if you have a copy of LWFC and didn't pay for it... you stole it. You are violating. Straight up and down. If Common does't sell, he gets dropped from his label. MCA made an investment in Common. They gave money up front for Com to make a record. They expect a return on their investment, and return means profit, not just break even. What about all the other people that are on the album? You gonna send money to ?uest or even MC Lyte for their work that they did and deserve to get paid for. Yes there are means for Common to put out the album himself. But that requires money that Common may not have. Maybe if he goes platinum, he could have enough money to start his own label. Maybe he doesn't want to worry about all the marketing, promotion, distribution, etc. and just concentrate on making good music. Also, being on a label provides more stability than being indpendant. If MCA loses money (yeah right, but it could happen) but they still believe in Common, that's money they lost, not him. Look at like this, I'm a consultant. I work for a major consulting firm. I'm paid well, but I could make more money if I was indpendant, but I would lose security. Right now I'm on the bench (not on a project) but I still get paid, if I was indpendant I'd be assed out. While it is true that the system sucks, but instead of saying "fuck it, I'm not supporting MCA" and in the process screwing the artists, work within the system, support the artists so they can make money and maybe one day start their own company to put other people on.<P>There are millions of stars, but there's only one Sun.<P>J-Sun - Professional Weed Smoker<BR>T.O.P.A. Chief Kneecap Shatterer<P>"Still pull the hoes most likely to succeed. Where that ni&&a J-(Sun)? Most likely smokin weed" - Tash<P>"Individuals who are never satisfied with the static standards set by the masses. The masses have always been lethargic. They have always opposed greatness for it is beyond them to even comprehend greatness" - 3rd Bass