Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThis is nothing new....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=26013&mesg_id=26070
26070, This is nothing new....
Posted by Nesta, Fri Mar-03-00 08:06 AM
That's what I'm trying to say. Tape Cassetes are the old school equivalent of MP3s. What you think people didn't get advanced copies before the Internet? You think they didn't make dubs for friends and pass it along before the internet? <P>When I used to spin in college we got a lot of stuff before hand FROM THE RECORD COMPANIES, so let's not be naive and think that all of this is happening because of the net. THE DIFFERENCE is that the record comapnies don't completely control it now and they hate that shit. Folks have been dubbing albums and not buying their own copies for years. Now if you consider that bootlegging cool. But this is nothing new, just a different method. <P>MY POINT IS THIS! I just don't want no one telling me that Common didn't go gold because of MP3s. Common and The Roots never went gold before and MP3s weren't in existence. That happened for many reasons including he couldn't get airplay and videoplay becuase his stuff didn't fit into the bullshit radio playlists and his label Relativity did little to push it beyond the "underground". Hopefully, MCA will push him and if they do LWFC will sell and I thinkit will gold. Plus being down with the whole Soulquarians/Roots thing isn't gonna hurt either. But if MCA treat him like they did the Jazzies he'll sell about 300,000 units and then heads on here gonna start saying dumb shit like if it weren't for MP3s LWFC would've gone gold. That's simply not the case.<P>And I'll say it again. Bootlegging has always been and will always be. They are violating but don't blame it on MP3s.<P>Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the motherfucker upside the head...