Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectCredit card debt
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=26013&mesg_id=26068
26068, Credit card debt
Posted by Nesta, Fri Mar-03-00 07:38 AM
>having your album on the net and <BR>>access to a burner is the <BR>>worst thing that can happen to <BR>>an artists album..snippets are good enough <BR>>if you ask me..ask yourself this, <BR>>and this is just a general <BR>>question to everyone, if you're a <BR>>struggling student and you can get <BR>>the album for free, or at <BR>>a fraction of the cost, why <BR>>in the name of all things <BR>>chocolate would you pay full price?? <BR>> loyalty to the artist, maybe, <BR>>but how many of us have <BR>>ever been like "yo son, let <BR>>me borrow that XX joint, and <BR>>while you're at it, hook me <BR>>up with a copy of YY's <BR>>jawn....shit nigga, I'm bouts to go <BR>>down the block and pick me <BR>>up MM mix tape, shit is <BR>>hot to death"....a lot of us <BR>>have done it, and those people <BR>>that make mix tapes and don't <BR>>get the written permission of the <BR>>artist and the label are just <BR>>as bad, cause they're making a <BR>>profit without giving credit to the <BR>>artists themselves.... <P>I had mounds of credit card debt coming out of college because I must own all of my music. I need the Liner notes and everything. So when I was a broke ass college student I still was buying everything I liked because dubs just didn't cut it. Same thing as now (although I'm not broke anymore). And the quality of mP3s does not match the quality of CDs (not yet anyway)<P>MP3s give artists such a great buzz. The buzz on Common's album now has a lot to do with the MP3s being out. I mean a little article here and there is cool, but the anticipation for Voodoo is much different than the anticipation for LWFC. <P>And if you are worried about bootleggers, bootleggers have been around since Berry Gordy was wearing short pants. Nothing will stop them. <P><BR>Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the motherfucker upside the head...