Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWhy is Malik B an emcee?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25943&mesg_id=25943
25943, Why is Malik B an emcee?
Posted by guest, Tue Feb-29-00 05:27 PM
Can somebody explain to me why Malik B is employed as an emcee? This man should not be rapping. His lyrics are weak, his voice is whiny and his flow is generic. Why is he a member of the Roots? Is he Thought's little brother or sumthin? How did this man get put on? HE'S HORRIBLE! Anybody who says lines like this, should not be rapping:<P>"I can make a hundred yard line start to dash<BR>I can make a whole lake of fish start to splash<BR>I can make Conan and the Titans clash<BR>and I can Metallica and guns 'N Roses thrash..."<P>HE ACTUALLY SAID THOSE LINES ON "PROCEED"! And that's just an example. How many dope songs has this man ruined? Why did they put his boring, monotonous flow on "Clones"? That song is tight, everybody comes correct and spits hard. Then here comes Malik B. Y'all can ride the Roots til the end of time, but anybody who does not recognize that Malik is a below average emcee has to be legally deaf. This man simply has NO standout verses or lines and has NEVER come impressive lyrically, vocally, whatever.<P>Why is he playin sidekick when the next best emcee in the Roots camp (to Black Thought) is clearly Dice Raw. How old is this kid now, 20, 21? He was tight like 5 years ago. He's got mad energy on the mic and spits mad creative lines in every verse. His verse on "Adrenaline" had me bouncin off the walls. Yet, he doesn't get nearly as much mic time as Malik. WHY??? Y'all talkin about underrated emcees on the Lesson... let's talk about Dice Raw. Why is he in the cut, while Malik is up front ruinin songs and ish? Is the whole Roots crew afraid to say somethin to Malik? Are they just not hearing how horrible he is? Did he win a bet or sumthin? I don't get it.<P><BR>---------------------------<BR>"when science finally locates the center of the universe, some people will be surprised to learn they're not it."<BR>- unknown<P>"words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them."<BR>- nathaniel hawthorne<P>"whatever happens it was written, meaning God meant it..." <BR>- nasir jones