Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectNatty Dreads
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25865&mesg_id=25903
25903, Natty Dreads
Posted by guest, Mon Mar-13-00 08:57 AM
As a sister who is VERY proud of her dreads I must tell you all that hair is very powerful and yes in some cases political. If you doubt what I say, ladies cornrow your hair tomorrow and see how the people you work with react. Brothers, stop cutting you hair and grow an afro and see what happens. Believe me when I tell you no matter what you wear, how you behave, or how smart you are, mainstream america will pass judgement on you according to the way you wear your hair.<BR>Now am I offended that Toshi decided to dread? It depends, it he doing it as a way to show his support for those who see beauty in being your own person, or is he doing it because it's the latest trend? My guess is it's probably both, I hear Dreads are really big in Asia thanks to L-Boogie and people like her. The kids over there are spending mad loot doing all types of crazy things trying to accoplish a "natural looking" head of locs.<BR>The decision to loc my hair was very spiritual, I prayed for weeks for strength and guidance. The strength to deal with the dirty look and smart ass comments (from both blacks and whites) and the guidance to react with grace and dignity. <BR>Toshi, if you are down for the cause, what ever it may be - Mo' power to you!!! If you're looking to follow a trend, do all of the natty dreads a favor and find something original to do with yourself. <P>The truth is an offense but not a sin - Robert Nesta Marley