Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectactually
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25865&mesg_id=25874
25874, actually
Posted by el_rey, Thu Mar-09-00 04:36 AM
Rastas are not the ones to invent locks, just the ones to "popularize' them (bring them to the sight of the mainstream). Locks have been around for as long as there have been Africans and other coily-haired peoples on the planet, and mean many different things to different people.<P>I guess, for me personally, its not so much that I don't like seeing non-Africans with locks, its more that I don't much like them being worn as a "trend" or a "fashion" by people trying to look "cool like a Rasta." I guess I just prefer them being rocked by people with a kind of ROOTS/naturalist consciousness (like Rastas, or Sahdus in North India, or MOVE people, etc.). But hey, that's just my opinion. If you wanna rock some ratty-ass, schtanky, blue dreads g'won with your bad self.<P>love and respect,<BR>El Rey<P>"I prefer to speak of the impossible, because we already know too much about what is possible" Silvio Rodriguez<P>"If our profanity offends you, look around you and see how destructively society is profaning itself. It is the rape of the land, the pollution of the environment, the betrayal and suffering of the masses by corrupt government that is the real obscenity." - MOVE statement<P>FREE MUMIA!<BR>www.mumia.org<P>FREE THE MOVE 9!<P>FREE ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS!<P>FREE YOUR SELF!<BR>www.freeyourself.com<P>"Get free y'all, get free!" - Digable Planets<P>"Get Free" - The Artist<P>