Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectToshi, dreads? Dreads??
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25865&mesg_id=25865
25865, Toshi, dreads? Dreads??
Posted by guest, Wed Mar-08-00 07:15 AM
"Come on, he can't do that on the album cover!"<BR>That's what I said yesterday, after meeting with Toshi, and a photographer and art director at the label. Just thinking of the okaycrucifixion it would invite gave me a headache, but here we go. I really want to get the no holds barred, full-on bomb, so bring it on okayplayers.<P>What do you think of a dreadlocked Toshi? Is it remotely possible for his hairstyle to be apolitical, to have no sociocultural meaning, to simply be a hairstyle? Can a Japanese person wearing dreads simply be making a fashion choice, like a Japanese person (or anyone else for that matter) dyeing their hair blond or pink? Is this cultural theft? Are you gonna say "he's trying too hard"? Is he betraying his heritage by adopting a different look? Does it just look bad?<P>Maybe you don't give an eff and I'm just being too paranoid.But I'm sure someone'll have something to say, so let's hear it.<P>By the way, Toshi's album will be released at the beginning of July.<P>Thanks.<P>Kaz<P><BR>