Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectDude, you got heart...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25788&mesg_id=25850
25850, Dude, you got heart...
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-23-00 01:03 PM
I had the opprotunity to meet Brother Questlove briefly at Radio City Music Hall, at the infamous Thursday night show. i must say he was all that i made him out to be in my mind, from reading posts about the great things he had done for others and how his personality comes across in his posts, Sincere, Genuine & down to earth. I wanted to preference those statements so that the person who reads my thread will understand i respect Bro Questlove to the fullest and am not trying to "throw shade" or "hate". <P>However, i agree 100% with what you said and felt from the word go (after listening to Voodoo thoroughly and being a D'angelo follower since day one) that the finished product turned out to be "a soulquarian production", with a depressing feel to it. I cannot come to grips with why a Q-Tip, common, etc,etc would have ANY INPUT in D's work. Is Mr. Archer trying to become a emcee or is his aim and end that of honing his skills as a musician? I thought it was the latter.<P>After sitting through about half of the show i was kinda confused. After plugging "his band" the "soulquarians" several x's i wondered if D'angelo, the sole entity before, the man that did it all alone, a 1 man show, was relinquishing that identity and felt he could accomplish more with a band of skilled musicians. I did notice that D seemed/appeared 2be happier moving about on the stage freely as he was acusstomed to staying behind the Rhodes in the past. <P>If Voodoo is any indication as to what we should expect from D in the future, TO ME, HIS FUTURE DOES'NT LOOK PROMISING ANYMORE. <P>My suggestion: whatever formula you had for Brown Sugar, be it Richmond dwelling, be it working solo, be it drum maching it, whatever, please consider my sincere request. <P>Chrishawn