Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subject"Let me get this straight..."
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25788&mesg_id=25836
25836, "Let me get this straight..."
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-23-00 10:10 AM
Innovation has to due with live instrumentation? See innovation to me is when Pete Rock showed the world how to use the multi pitch (a button that had been on the SP for years) to echo horns in or out. Innovation is Pete showing us that we could chop drums instead of using full break beats. Primo showing us to chop samples and replay them. Or how the beatminerz showed the world that you can filter a sample to create a bassline. Innovation for ME means doing something that's never been done before, or showing us another way to do it. There's a BIG difference to me between innovation and a good idea. Puff having Mary sing over hip hop beats was a good idea (that Ron G had been doing on his mix tapes) but not innovated ya feel me? Yeah, Voodoo is GREAT but Voodoo is soul music, Common is hip hop, and please don't do the whole "...but it's all black music"! Yeah that's true but that 's why we have different genres of black muisc. Like I said before I couldn't even imagine Chicken Grease being on "LWFC"...but that's just me. voodoo was innovative to me because it seems like you were present on the live jam session. The majority of heads don't like it for that reason but when' the last time that's been done? When I listen to voodoo it takes me back to Stevie's "Inner Visions" but "LWFC" to me is like a "hip hop" follow to Voodoo, but innovated? Like I said anything that was done on "LWFC" has been done by the Roots numerous times so I just don't feel you, but it's all good Fire.