Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWow
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25788&mesg_id=25789
25789, Wow
Posted by bshelly, Wed Mar-22-00 07:05 PM
<BR>You're about to get flamed to hell (unless somebody already posted on this topic, in which case you'll get a couple snide respones telling you this). But let me speak upon your points, because I dont' think they're without merit.<P>Yeah, I'm a little concerned with the convergence among okayplayer artists. In a sense, it's only natural. The two people most responsible for any "soulquarian/okayplayer" sound seem to have very similar tastes in music and have been working together for five years. I admitt, as much as I like the Common album, part of me was like, "Oh, this again." I've posted on this before, but I think Quest and D (and feel free, either one of you, to tell me to shut my damn mouth) are more interested at this point in mining the groove than coming innovative. They've created a really funky sound, and they want to explore all the possibilities of it. Must it be exciting to do as a musician? Probably. Is it producing exciting music? Undoubtedly. Do "Things Fall Apart," "Voodoo," and "Like Water for Chocolate" resemble one another more than I'd like them to? Sure 'nuff.<P>But, I don't think we should complain too much. Unlike you, I think Voodoo is the shit. I've only listened to "Like Water for Chocolate" a couple times now, but it's pretty damn funky too. I'm enjoying the soulquarian sound for now, hoping and assuming that each artist is going to move onto something else soon. You hear the rumbles about D's next album. Black Thought's gonna give us a taste of the nasty with his jawn. My point? Man, it's only been three albums. They're savvy artists--they know they've got to go forward soon. But right now they're working a sound, with great results. It may get a little repetitive, but for the most part I say keep it going.<P>Besides, by the time the Voodoo tour is done, you KNOW they're gonna have something new. Either that, or they're never gonna speak to one another again.<P>Bryan<BR>aim=bshelly24<P>"My restlessness is my nemesis"<BR> ---Mighty Mos