Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecthow i feel about the soulquarians
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25788&mesg_id=25788
25788, how i feel about the soulquarians
Posted by guest, Wed Mar-22-00 05:55 PM
i don't know how to say this. this is really hard for me considering the roots common and d'angelo are some of my favorite performers of this new hip-hop era. i don't know how i can say this considering the roots and common are two of my biggest influences in the hip-hop music i create. understand me when i say i am an okayplayer, but i'm not a dick rider. i don't want to say this but, FUCK A SOULQUARIAN<P>d'angelo's album-a dissapointment-there were some nice tunes don't get me wrong but, brown sugar sounded like a debut album and was cool for it's time but i expected him to step it up. songs sound too similar. why stick to using the same instruments if you can't make those instruments sound new or fresh every track.<P>common's album better than d'angelo's but still was not as innovative as one day it will all make sense. still not as unique as one day it all makes sense or ressurection.<P>is the soulquarians mission to make everyone sound the same. are tracks on lwfc and voodoo not interchangeable? <P>do the soulquarians believe they have the perfect formula for creating hip-hop soul?<P>do the soulquarians believe they have the ability to produce the massess?<P>or are they just cocky bastards?<P>my veiw is that my mentors are running out of creative juices. to succesfully produce the massess you have to beable to give each artist a unique sound.<P>i know i'm going to get shit on for this because the majority of you cats won't listen to new ideas that go against the grain. i just hope someone will listen respectably. you don't have to agree just listen.<P>-naeem j.