Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRetrospection
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25320&mesg_id=25402
25402, Retrospection
Posted by guest, Fri Mar-31-00 05:36 AM
First of all I'm new to the family so I'll say hotep...

Second I read along trying to figure out what anyone's objections to this entity known as the soulquarians is all about

Third I challenge anyone to name me a group of individuals out there throwing down the gauntlet like the soulquarians...love em or hate em they are forcing players and specthaters to take notice...every artist on radio with very few exceptions are conforming to what is "known" to sell...until what sells becomes different...throuhout this forum many issues are raised...1.)Some cat talks about real hip-hop not being regarded as second but then cite samples...how should I say stupid is that...a sample is second generation at best...by the way I love samples and live/original compositions 2.)This whole idea about "boring" and "repetitive" is an example of what people call the MTV effect...everything has to be quick and satisfying, but I like my music like I like my sex, long and in a groove...know there is a famous Marvin Gaye album, I forget the name now that I heard that is one big groove, similiar arrangements, but a collective of individual pieces. Roots, D'ANgelo, Common, other assoc. artists provide muical meditation and because you cats can't sit still long enough to break it down and fall in to a musical/spiritual trance you are losing...4.)coolquest's point...Prince...cat's thought he was gay and didn't like his screaming when he came out...Tone,Toni,Tony peeps had a hard time accepting them when they dropped each album...classic RNB...there are more examples...point...good ish seems to travel ahead of it's time...or like someone once said it's right on time and we need to catch up...

this for quest...a lot of the people in this forum are ignoring the most important issue when it regards this music and what spirit or energy is summoned to make it...don't let those people who are less evolved get you upset...and I am not trying to dis anyone "less evolved" I respect your opinion but it's like somebody riding a pony trying to tell a cowboy how to ride a horse...

you can give two cats a gun...one uses it to protect his family...the other uses it to terrorize those without weapons...the tool is the same the energy and the outcome different

dues is getting paid but what about the bills...I wanna make some dough but I wanna show my skills-Common