Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectwhole nother direction
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25320&mesg_id=25356
25356, whole nother direction
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Mar-31-00 02:07 AM
so you will only accept soul when it's given to you second hand? (broken down through a sampler).

again.

it's cool for a cat to loop funk inc.'s "kool is back" as long as it's parts sound like "come clean" in the first place?

hmmmmmm

but as a "root" "soulquarian" (or whatever) when have you known me not to do some melodic shit?

hey, i despise modern rnb like the next cat. but in my eyes d'angelo is not modern rnb. he is not montell jordan. he is not k-ci or jo jo, he is not case. he can only be him. and at the rate no one is even attempting to become a vanguard in this dead genre i feel he deserves a chance in the eyes of heads.

but again, who am i talking to?

real heads? or mofo's who thought they had what being a "head" was all about.

just because their is a j5 record in your collection and the "lesson pt 6." is a great exersise in experimentation to you dosn't make you "a head".

real hip hop.

i follow what bam and flash taught me.

they told me in 1980 they could play this in a set:

-"sugar sugar"
-"get it together"
-"give it up or turn it a loose"
-"it's just begun"
-"mary mary"
-"start me up"
-"get off your ass and jam"
-"sing a simple song"
-"cars"
-"theme to fat albert" (meters version)

that to me is "hip-hop". when cats experimented.

rnb?

if you can compare our shit to "bills" or "westside til i die" or whatever is sittin ontop of billboard then you can cry foul.

as far as getting hit with "the truth". money, i never felt so good about an album in my life. to the contrary. you are getting hit with the truth.

funny thing is a majority of this record was made with a "1200" and a "3000" and a "900".

forgive me for using these tech terms but i assume that you complaining cats are musicians/producers. so i assume you know "the basics".

and since i strayed away from experimentation (what ever that is......all of a sudden i just turned into swiss or something?) show me how to come back to the path. like name songs or production techniques. don't bitch. explain please.

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb

(AFTER SEEING MY PERFORMANCE FOR THE FIRST TIME, MY IDOL STEVE FERRONE EMAILED ME THIS LETTER.....)

Opening fill from "person to person". ....... $100.00
Cute fill betwween hi hat, bass drum and snare ....... $1500.00
Horn line from "Love Your Life" ..... $10,000.35
Breakfast with Ferrone.... Gratis

The reason you are being charged for the horn line is that it was probably your idea to use it!

You da man! Great show! Really nice pocket! Call or e-mail sometime, and take care out there.
818-***-****

God Bless,

Stephen Ferrone.