Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThat drummer is getting Vixed with the Truth.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25320&mesg_id=25355
25355, That drummer is getting Vixed with the Truth.
Posted by Grand_Styles, Thu Mar-30-00 10:06 PM
To butt in & slap ya in a face with what most of us feel about the Soulquarians. One: I never really cared for D'Angelo cause I thought he sounded like a young Prince wannabe; even though we need one since Prince hasn't been himself musically for mad years. So of course I'm not gonna like his second effort; but, I did like one song on each album. Yes, I do like the roots but as a whole not just certain members of the Roots! Two: Common is a rare & talented MC no matter whose beats he's rappin over; but, remember thats only half a song the music has to be the the backbone of any song. Three: Common with the sound of D'Angelo's music type stuff doesn't work with many that believe that the two could mix. I thought most of it was okay but could have been better; remember we are use to listening to Common with a real Hip Hop sound of sampled sounds. No, I'm not dissin' the fact that peeps play instruments but organic music is sometimes not the way to go with some rap artist.

Whatever happened to Questlove that use to expriment with comming with different sounds/techniques from his drum kit, will someone please let me know when he does come back to the rap game. I think when Hip Hop/Rap producers start treating Hip Hop as a second nature to any type of music instead of first, thats when they loose sight of what rap use to sound like (that child of music that made himself the individual & bastard of music that nows stands alone but still is made up of its parents). I could name at least a hundred albums that were soso cause the whole thing sounded like one big song instead of a group of compostions. Anyway to make a long story short (to some kats who might know more than I do)I think that Common's LWFC wasn't better than the last cause of repetative (R&B)production but not any worst than the last one either, just the same. Soulquarians is still a talented group/band since Reveloution or MFSB. Hey us listeners can give a rat's azz about what or why no-one can do a song now that was done back in the day, cause we just want good music not excuses for why you can't create classics (don't get madd just take ya azz back to the lab).

Remember this, it's either my way or hit the phunkin' internet highway.....dammit!

Peace & Chicken Grease!!!!!