Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRight? How is Thelonius NOT Hip Hop . . .
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25320&mesg_id=25350
25350, Right? How is Thelonius NOT Hip Hop . . .
Posted by tinyteanie, Wed Apr-05-00 05:21 AM
I am so sick of 12 year old coming in hear who weren't even around for the first part of hip hop and act like there's a "recipe" for hip hop. Africans and they're music had always evolved. The problem isn't that we can' get ahead, it's that we stifle each other before we can get started. ?uest I done told you about arguing with people who ain't as smart as you!
In any event, if you use the same instruments, a lot of times shit sounds the same. I don't suppose Alliyah, Genuine and Missy sound the same? same producers same sound. SOme people just particularly like the sound.
Fuck yeah it's innovative if it hasn't been done. It's funny that people compare D' to Prince like Prince was original. People sworethat he was just like Little Richard, but youngsters don't know, they just pop off.
Prince was an innovator in that he his music had it's own content, mixture and evolves as he evolves. WTF?! No one is doing what Soulquarians or the Roots do. Unfortunately, not many people like "music". It's been replaced with beat machines.
Keep on truckin' babies! Damn let me turn on Nag Champa again.
Doug E. Tiny and tha Get Bitch Crew