Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecti told myself i wouldn't respond to you......
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25320&mesg_id=25332
25332, i told myself i wouldn't respond to you......
Posted by qoolquest, Thu Mar-30-00 08:09 PM

>
>it's about getting bored with an
>album.

well money. stop listening. plain and simple. if your ears hurt......turn it off.

>all of you are talented.

gee thanks.

>you look up to some of
>the greatest musicians and singers
>ever, but your recent work
>(lwfc+voodoo) isn't close to being
>as great as a prince
>or curtis mayfeild or joni
>mitchel album.

money. "voodoo" is d's second record. i've seen many a sophomore attempt. personally i see it some classic ass shit. the sound is certainly like nothing i've heard before. the harmonies alone are backround singing 101. you are comparing d to cats who have left masterworks. funny but i'll say it again. who in 2000 is doing this? who? brian mcknight? the barry white comeback album??!? i hate saying that but....save for choice few....who

and boring? who says classic shit has to have "!" all behind it? if it is boring to you then

what is: THERE'S A RIOT GOIN ON?, DON JUANS RECKLESS DAUGHTER, IN A SILENT WAY, BITCHES BREW, OR ON THE CORNER (I CAN HEAR YOU NOW "SHIT IS TOO REPETITIVE!!")

look downbeat did it, rolling stone did it, and you (whoever you may be. radio host ain't it 202?)

bitches and on the corner were "horrible experiments" to downbeat. then 10 years later downbeat changes their tune: @@@@@ classic!!! wow!!!! a staple!!!!!

around the world, parade, and sign: same thing. "not purple rain......blah blah blah....."
now? motherfuckers will kill for another "sign".

so you made your mind up that LWFC and VOODOO are "boring". my thing is hey i don't know (nor do i care to change to your standards) what your standards are.

i hear "player player" as a cinematic experience
you hear "player player" as a 7 minute waste.

i hear "nagchamba" as a rich lush exercise in keyboard/guitar experiments.

you hear "nagchamba" as something that can't blend in with "simon says".

i mean in the end you think im gonna say "wow i hope i pleased big 202?" i mean don't get me wrong. i love my supporters. but i gotta make some shit that will please me.

>your music is funky but it
>ain't taking us no where.

hmmm if you study the history of african music (assuming you are an african) you should know that groove is the center of all things.

james browns jams were 8 to 14 minutes long.
fela? 18 to 24 minutes.
george clinton same thing.

so where should it take us?

i hear codas, changes, real chords, bridges, modulations (sic) on "voodoo"

i hear panning, floating voices, experiments, non conventional (and in 2000....what is conventional?) instruments on voodoo.

so where else?

lyrics? "the blood of god is my defense...let it drip down to my seed" vs. "if u back it up, you can hold my ice......owe me back like it's money i spent...."

again this is about preferences. i like lush keyboards and rhodes and arps. tight snares that give you headaches, bass that sounds like subs and off time playing like my 6th round of scotch.

so assuming you are speaking of the "earlier" work...i can't imagine what appeals to you. so i assume that you found "essaywhuman" and "datskat" experimental cause that was an OBVIOUS marriage of two genres.

sorry cat. i'm past that. and if you really paid attention you would know that each shit is different in its own right. so for experimentation to please you, do you have to have it spoon fed everytime? like: doing a rhyme in 7/8 meter to a banjo in a different language? personally the sign of a true champ is one who dosn't show boat.

last i looked i have more people in our corner with every release. as for you fly by nighters (you know, the cats who come up and have to swear that they have the first edition organix, and "these other cats don't know what time it is". they cry like babies who don't wanna share their toys......"i knew em first. they ain't the same no more.

look.....just throw the record away.

that's all.

damn money.

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb

(AFTER SEEING MY PERFORMANCE FOR THE FIRST TIME, MY IDOL STEVE FERRONE EMAILED ME THIS LETTER.....)

Opening fill from "person to person". ....... $100.00
Cute fill betwween hi hat, bass drum and snare ....... $1500.00
Horn line from "Love Your Life" ..... $10,000.35
Breakfast with Ferrone.... Gratis

The reason you are being charged for the horn line is that it was probably your idea to use it!

You da man! Great show! Really nice pocket! Call or e-mail sometime, and take care out there.
818-***-****

God Bless,

Stephen Ferrone.