Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectA question:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25320&mesg_id=25331
25331, A question:
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Mar-30-00 04:39 PM
You can't deny, though, that cats are often reluctant to get into a new sound. They like their safe mtv shit. And in that respect, when something different comes along, they often diss it because it's different. Even if it's a throwback to music from a while ago, they don't recognize and they won't give it a chance. But this isn't even my point.

>and that is the reason why
>i think quest is so
>pissed off. because he is
>in the hot seat. he's
>starting to get valid criticism
>and doesn't know what to
>do about it.

What qualifies as valid criticism? Whose opinion is valid? Whose opinion is not? I consider myself very well versed in music... not only do I listen to a wide array, but I have a good feel for the business, I play seven instruments, I know a lot of musical technique/theory, and I'm a sound technician for a theatre. I've got music knowledge backing me up. But I don't think that necessarily makes me that much more of a valid critic than the next guy... I can give more reasons than some for an album's worth (or lack thereof), but in the end, one either likes the album or he doesn't. That's that.
A lot of cats are feeling the Soulquarians. Even people not acquainted with them are recognizing their sound: case in point, slipped on the new Common the day I got it. Cold Blooded came on, my friend said "Hey, that sounds a lot like some of that other stuff you've been listening too lately... I mean, it's more hip hop, but it has some of that flavor of Voodoo, or maybe The Roots?" I explained to him that the same guys that worked on Voodoo worked on this album... and TFA, etc. He nodded, said that made sense. Yesterday, he bought Voodoo.
This has gotten to be a long post. And I think I made my point.

-thebigfunk

"Good poetry must convey a sense of place, feeling, relationship. A longing, a yearning for something - of expression, of understanding." - Mos Def