Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: wanna know why? i'll tell you why......
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25320&mesg_id=25325
25325, RE: wanna know why? i'll tell you why......
Posted by guest, Sat Apr-01-00 06:08 PM
Shit. I'd rather listen to a million dollar sample than a Prince/Mayfield biteoff riff from your shit. As long as I aint fallin asleep! And since we're on the subject of sampling, let's just hypothetically say that these Ummah/Soulquarian so called "innovators" did come out of the era during which true Funk and Soul was during the late 60's and most of the 70's. Then afterwards hip hop started. You wit me? I bet you clowns a million of them dollars spent by Jay-Z that none of these Ummah/Soulquarian joints would have been the source of sampling that most of the earlier hip hop joints took they're "innovatingly" shit from like James Brown. Come to think of it, James Brown is probably the most sampled soul artist by hip hop in hip hop's history. And this is why you revolutioners gotta understand - that sampling was and will always be an essential ingredient of hip hop. You can't eliminate that. Marly Marl even declares that it's a part of what the music is. Think about it ya'll, could you imagine Rakim's classics containing any samples from the Ummah rather than James Brown? Think how ungoldy his shit woulda been. I rest my case.