Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectMaybe Com should be naked in his next video...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25019&mesg_id=25081
25081, Maybe Com should be naked in his next video...
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 08:12 AM
I agree that the best move from a strictly business standpoint would be to release "Ghetto Heaven". At least that's how it appears. I mean, after all, Com did put out a single with Lauryn Hill which to my knowledge did NOT blow up. So it's possible (however very unlikely, I think) that "Ghetto Heaven" would not blow up. As for whoever said Nas blew up cause of Lauryn Hill, I disagree. "If I Ruled The World" blew up cause it was an ill concept, an ill (and mainstream accessible) beat, and had ill lyrics. Lauryn helped, no doubt, but to say that you can put out anything with (insert popular artist hear) and it will blow up is probably false.

Now. "The Light". I agree with putting this out as the next single, simply because it's the next best song on the album (to "The 6th Sense"). Not only that, but like "If I Ruled The World", it's an ill concept that a lot of people can relate to, an ill (again, mainstream accessible) beat, and has ill lyrics. To me, I can't see how this song would not blow up. That is to say, if MCA handles it correctly. Personally, I think "The Light" will be Com's best single to date from a marketing perspective, hands down.

In the past, Com has been releasing songs that are too deep for the radio. Simple as that. Nobody wants to hear a song about abortion while driving down the street. "Retrospective..." is one of my favorite songs on the album, but it's simply too deep for radio. Same with "I Used To Love H.E.R." It's a five minute metaphor. If you don't understand hip-hop's history, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET IT. So releasing it as a single is a mistake because the only people who want to hear it are the "real heads" who already own the album anyway. Releasing "Funky For You" or "Cold Blooded" or "Thelonious" or "The Questions" or any song like that would be a mistake. The "real head" market has already been tapped into with "The 6th Sense". We already own his album. So it's time to tap into a new demographic. Hence, you release "The Light". It's not a deep song. You don't have to like rap music at all to love the song. If you've ever had feelings for a person of the opposite sex (which is most everybody) then you'll feel it. It's gonna hit home for a lot of people who don't understand/like hip-hop enough to appreciate joints like "The 6th Sense". That's why it WILL blow up.

---------------------------
"when science finally locates the center of the universe, some people will be surprised to learn they're not it."
- unknown

"words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them."
- nathaniel hawthorne

"whatever happens it was written, meaning God meant it..."
- nasir jones