Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subject"As long as its FUNKY..."
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25019&mesg_id=25065
25065, "As long as its FUNKY..."
Posted by xangeluvr, Wed Apr-05-00 07:44 PM
my thoughts:

i personally don't think that the release of "geto heaven" would be a very smart move. i mean, the point here is to try to get more people to buy the album and get open to common, right? and the way to do that is to get a song that radio stations and video channels will be willing to play and reach the masses. i can't see any station playing "geto heaven" except during those late night, nobody is listenin, insomniac theater, radio shows. we need a song that will be played during optimal times like rush hour and early evening. feel me?

people that listen to the radio go and buy albums when they hear something catchy in a song. i would say that most listeners want beats that are more upbeat, you know, something they can nod their heads to and move to. "geto heaven" is NOT this song. "Funky For You," however, is another story:
-1. this song has a dope, upbeat tempo that i can see people bumpin' out their cars and even at clubs and ish.
-2. ok, Com does that thing with the "ooh" and "uh" and "hey" that i think will be able to catch people and have 'em repeating that ish.
-3. the song also has a sing-along hook that "hooks" people. seriously, i know that most of you at one time or another has gone and bought an album simply because a hook stayed in your head!

its really simple. radio listeners want something that is "catchy." isn't this why people like DMX and Cash Money are so popular? they got uptempo beats, memorable hooks, and little signature's in their songs (ie. DMX's "grrrrr" and Juvenile's "HA").

it has been said.