Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectLWFC - 1st week Sales - Soundscan
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25019
25019, LWFC - 1st week Sales - Soundscan
Posted by label_guy, Tue Apr-04-00 09:34 AM
Here's the facts hot off the wire:
Common's LWFC soundscanned 72,131 units in its first week. It debuts at #16 on the top 200 chart and #5 on the R&B albums chart. You will see these chart numbers in next week's Billboard Magazine & website.
In comparison, Common's last album One Day.... scanned 22,054 in its first week. It debuted #62 on the top 200 chart and #12 on the R&B albums chart.
Now you know the info as soon as the industry.....
LG

"Still doin' this sh*t like dude in Wild Style" - COMMON
25020, Woooooooooo HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Posted by Nij, Tue Apr-04-00 09:39 AM
That all sounds good an' all but what does it have to do to go gold? I mean, I don't know the figures in USA, because I think its different here. So, in other words, more light please!

Peace

Nij

MIND
MATTER
25021, damn! damn!!! damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by qoolquest, Tue Apr-04-00 10:20 AM
the fuck man?!?!?!?!

@#@$#$#@@#$@#!#!!!!!!

fuck this rap shit.

not complaining tim.

if we can go gold, and win a grammy.....

if mos can debut in the top 10....and go gold...

come on now...

there is no way we can be happy with these numbers.

for those of you confused, the "label guy" and i roll tight. and some of the cats at the labe and i roll tight.

but being a victim of label politricks in the past i know that they will not deliver backing (read:$) unless we deliver the numbers.

these aren't the numbers

fuck this rap shit.

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb
anthony hamilton-soulquarian.jan

jepordy time!

the answer: PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

?uestion: maria's response to what breakfast i wake up to everymorning while on the road.

(cream of wheat, with vanilla butter, brown sugar, raisins and cream....yummmmmmmmmmmmm...

...ok i guess i'd say the same shit if i woke up to ramen every morning.)
25022, RE: damn!
Posted by Mike, Tue Apr-04-00 12:28 PM
>come on now...
>there is no way we can
>be happy with these numbers.

I agree

I expected at least DOUBLE that number

'Don't worry 'bout what the fuck I be doin'- Smokey

'I'M SO ANGRY'-My 2 year old daughter Tamera

'It TASTES like Pig!'-My 7 year old daughter Tiffany after eating Turkey-Ham for dinner.
25023, RE: damn!
Posted by label_guy, Tue Apr-04-00 04:58 PM
"if mos can debut in the top 10....and go gold..." -?uestlove

Just so you all have all the facts:
If y'all remember Mos Def's BOBS scanned 53,615 the first week and charted #25 on the Top 200. He has scanned 384,000 units to date.

25024, Thanks for the context
Posted by Nesta, Tue Apr-04-00 05:02 PM
Please put things in context y'all.

"Is someone speaking? Do I hear someone speaking?" - Uncle Junior Corrado of the Sopranos

"And cos of Nesta today I'm using more horns in my songs" - Krewcial OKP Song Pt. 2

The Smut Phoenix has arisen, and the Floozy Age now officially begins - no more fun and games. All who are inexperienced and just plain wack in bed - be afraid. Be very afraid." - Didi

"I could be a pimp right now if I wanted to be. My pimp game is strong." - Snoop on the Howard Stern Show
25025, RE: damn!
Posted by Darbw, Wed Apr-05-00 08:00 AM

I see Common's album a little like MOS DEF's it will create some late hype. Every Okayplayer probably had Black on Both Sides long before they heard or saw a Video from it. So Common has a vid seen regularly on BET and I know Rap City in Canada. I think you will get the numbers slowly with an album without a jump out single. Those start up numbers are in reference to a cool video and one single. Quest, If you want #1 maybe you should produce some rock and rap shit or some Canadian female singer. Patience.....

darb
25026, well
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Apr-05-00 08:34 AM
so you mean to say that the spot in billboard (gold marking) next to mos' name is fool's gold? as in he really didn't go gold? just wondering (sheeeit did we really go gold for that matter?)

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb
anthony hamilton-soulquarian.jan

jepordy time!

the answer: PPPPPPTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHBTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

?uestion: maria's response to what breakfast i wake up to everymorning while on the road.

(cream of wheat, with vanilla butter, brown sugar, raisins and cream....yummmmmmmmmmmmm...

...ok i guess i'd say the same shit if i woke up to ramen every morning.)
25027, RE: well
Posted by BrainChild, Wed Apr-05-00 08:58 AM
>so you mean to say that
>the spot in billboard (gold
>marking) next to mos' name
>is fool's gold? as in
>he really didn't go gold?
>just wondering (sheeeit did we
>really go gold for that
>matter?)

i'm sure 500,000 copies of BOBS were shipped... but 500,000 weren't sold....

RIAA awards are based on units shipped, not actual sales totals.

or am i wrong?

--me--

"no ride camel. me ride ass." -- john shaft

"i'm famous. ain't that a bitch?" -- thelonious monk

http://www.thejawn.com/brainchild/
http://www.thejawn.com
25028, WRONGO CHANGO!
Posted by fire, Wed Apr-05-00 09:03 AM
it's based on units sold. Soundscan anyone?

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" - Simon Birch

"If everyone did what they wanted, instead of what they should, there'd be CHAOS" - Simon Birch

"Somebody let me hold a #2 pencil cuz they testing!" - Dre/Kast

"cant stand a Lee Press-0n nigga like him" :-) - Okayplayer Quez

RESPECT MY AUTHORITA!!!!! :-) :-) Cartman/South Park
25029, RE: WRONGO CHANGO!
Posted by label_guy, Wed Apr-05-00 10:50 AM
RIAA certifies 500,000 units shipped GOLD, 1,000,000 units shipped platinum, and so on. The level of shipments must stay in stores at least 30 days.
Thus Mos is officially Certified GOLD with over 500,000 units shipped & almost 400,000 units scanned.....remember all record stores are not soundscan.
And ?uest, y'all scanned 712,320 units on TFA so it's safe to say the album went GOLD....Holla at you on Friday.
LG
25030, RE: WRONGO CHANGO!
Posted by Jay, Thu Apr-06-00 02:15 AM
Super wrongo, ever heard the term Shipped Platinum, came back in returns Double Platinum.

"Eyes on the prize, eyes on the thighs of Mary J. Blige…"-Common (Nag Champa)

"...you roll a 500 that's really a 320, should have let somebody else hook it, numbers look crooked like King Kong shook it."-Jay Dee (Thelonious)

"Hell is hot, that's never been disputed." - The Sopranos
25031, Sorry
Posted by fire, Thu Apr-06-00 06:08 AM
I was wrong.

For once.

Won't happen again.

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

"If everyone did what they wanted, instead of what they should, there'd be CHAOS" - Simon Birch

"Sign my publishing? What a laugh! I don't know Bo, but I do know math!" - Prince

Fire vs. Drag-On: "I'm suing him for defamation/retardation of character!" - the "real" fire

EFF A SHORT SIGNATURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
25032, RE: WRONGO CHANGO!
Posted by label_guy, Thu Apr-06-00 08:15 AM
but it is still certified after thirty days regardless what comes back afterwards.
LG
25033, So fire's right (in a sense)?
Posted by fire, Thu Apr-06-00 08:42 AM
Yaay!

Whew! I almost messed up my longstanding record.

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

"Sign my publishing? What a laugh! I don't know Bo, but I do know math!" - Prince

Fire vs. Drag-On: "I'm suing him for defamation/retardation of character!" - the "real" fire

firefire100@hotmail.com
25034, RE: So fire's right (in a sense)?
Posted by Jay, Thu Apr-06-00 08:56 AM
LOL. Don't even try it fire baby. Close, but this ain't horse shoes.

BTW still waiting to HEAR fire (hint, hint)

"...you roll a 500 that's really a 320, should have let somebody else hook it, numbers look crooked like King Kong shook it."-Jay Dee (Thelonious)

25035, You will hear fire
Posted by fire, Thu Apr-06-00 09:14 AM
when all her ducks are lined up and groomed properly.

I was gonna put some stuff up, but I'm waiting, cause I don't wanna be judged by these evil monsters around here.

I can take constructive criticism, but I can't take destruction of one's character.

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

firefire100@hotmail.com
25036, RE: WRONGO CHANGO!
Posted by Jay, Thu Apr-06-00 08:54 AM
No doubt, the certification is still good. But the likelihood of a another release... haha

25037, RE: WRONGO CHANGO!
Posted by Jay, Thu Apr-06-00 08:59 AM
Hey LG, did you guys hook up a Promo T as fresh as the blue GZA joints from last year?

25038, RE: WRONGO CHANGO!
Posted by label_guy, Thu Apr-06-00 09:03 AM
Common's promo T is heather grey with the green & white logo on the front & back. They're definitely HOTT.
The navy blue GZA joints with the white type were perhaps the hottest though.
LG
25039, Promo Items
Posted by Jay, Thu Apr-06-00 09:06 AM
You know I read somewhere that was in the top 5 promo items of last year.

25040, Certified
Posted by Kev, Thu Apr-06-00 06:54 PM
go to the Bilboard charts site.BOBS is cirtified gold.

you couldn't fuck with the style if you was a nympho-Common

One1
25041, RE: damn!
Posted by NeonAfroMonkFromBrooklyn, Wed Apr-05-00 10:51 AM
>>come on now...
>>there is no way we can
>>be happy with these numbers.
>
>I agree
>
>I expected at least DOUBLE that
>number

Yo, I thought you Okayplyaers were smarter than that. When anybody that doesn't have a big name in hip-hop tries to do something different, to expand their musical horizons, this ALWAYS happens. These numbers are low, very low, i agree, but cutting edge, thoughtful hip-hop is not selling right now. Especally when the first single isn't on TRl or blowin' up on any radio stations. Also, I think Common lost a good deal of his listeners when he dropped No ID and Dug Infinite, especally in Chicago. I don't know, but i suppose i expected them to be this low, which is sad in itself.

"Not strong/Only aggressive/Not free
We only licensed/ Not compassioniate, only polite/ Now who the nicest?
Not good but well behaved/Chasin after death so we can call ourselves brave?
Still livin like mental slaves/ Hidin like thieves in the night from life
Illusions of oasis makin you look twice
/Hidin like thieves in the night from life/ Illusions of oasis makin you look twice

-Mos Def and Talib Kweli "Theives in the Night"

25042, buying multiple copies of LWFC
Posted by naijagirl, Wed Apr-05-00 07:08 AM
(stay with me on this one)

i was just reading on mtv news that there is a beef going on between backstreet boys and nsync fans (time on their hands?) regarding nsync breaking sales records (1 million in a day, and 2.4 million in a week). backstreet boys fans are saying that nsync fans "Cheated" by buying multiple copies of the album just so nsync would break the backstreet boys records--giving them to friends, etc.

interesting.

im going to the record store to buy 2 more like water for chocolate cds. ive been blessed with the financial means to do so, so Im gonna. I want common's numbers to go up. heck, i'll give em to some friends, or some starving music fan. :-)

im not telling anyone what to do, i'm just saying what im going to do. i have stood by and watched all of common's albums not make gold, platinum, etc. this one has to! its too lovely. too heck with the discussion about whether or not it si too r&b, or not hard core enough, or whatever. its great music. and i have no problem supporting it.

peace
25043, MCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE UP THE DOUGH!
Posted by Jay, Tue Apr-04-00 02:19 PM
TROY, TELL 'EM TO GIVE UP THE DOUGH!!!

25044, RE: LWFC - 1st week Sales - Soundscan
Posted by guest, Tue Apr-04-00 02:34 PM
I thought the numbers would be more. If damn 'NSync can sell millions in one day, what the hell is up with the support for the artists that WE like. Wake up people, support the music or lose it.
25045, Not the best #'s
Posted by fire, Tue Apr-04-00 02:48 PM
but some good things take a slow burn. I've heard a "buzz" and people are really feeling this album, especially the first single.

Now, the second single is vewy, vewy important here, what will it be? Remember, it's almost summer, you need car crunking music. My pick: (not that anyone cares), FUNKY FOR YOU. It's got summer street written all ova it!

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

Albums of the week:

House of Music - TonyToniTone
Like Water 4 Chocolate - Common
All n All - Earth Wind & Fire
Let's Get Free - Dead Prez

25046, FUNKY FOR YOU
Posted by tinyteanie, Tue Apr-04-00 04:59 PM
I agree! Go Jill Scott Go Jill Scott!
Tiny
25047, RE: FUNKY FOR YOU
Posted by fire, Wed Apr-05-00 05:12 AM
That song is absolutely bananas! Yet, you could get the averageradioheadchild to get into it. What mo can you ask 4?

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

Albums of the week:

House of Music - TonyToniTone
Like Water 4 Chocolate - Common
All n All - Earth Wind & Fire
Let's Get Free - Dead Prez

25048, Get ready to see 'The Light'
Posted by Mike, Wed Apr-05-00 07:41 AM
Sorry to bust y'all's bubble(s) but according to the man Common and Lable Guy 'The Light' is the next single and video with 'Funky For You' as a B-side. 'Funky' would probably be a better club banger but the 18-34 female radio demographic would probably get into 'The Light' better.(sing-along chorus and positve vibe about relationships-kinad like that Roots grammy song)

As far as 'geto heaven' as a single I agree with another 'player who said there's no guarantee Virgin would even allow it. It could cut into Voodoo's sales. Hell Lauryn never officially released that cut with D but it was all over the radio. Let's just hope for the best.

'It TASTES like Pig!'-My 7 year old daughter Tiffany after eating Turkey-Ham for dinner.
25049, Get ready to see 'The Light'
Posted by Mike, Wed Apr-05-00 07:42 AM
Sorry to bust y'all's bubble(s) but according to the man Common and Lable Guy 'The Light' is the next single and video with 'Funky For You' as a B-side. 'Funky' would probably be a better club banger but the 18-34 female radio demographic would probably get into 'The Light' better.(sing-along chorus and positve vibe about relationships-kinad like that Roots grammy song)

As far as 'geto heaven' as a single I agree with another 'player who said there's no guarantee Virgin would even allow it. It could cut into Voodoo's sales. Hell Lauryn never officially released that cut with D but it was all over the radio. Let's just hope for the best.

25050, funky for FUNKY FOR YOU
Posted by mikeONE, Wed Apr-05-00 12:33 PM
that is the first hot song on the album....I can definitely see KMEL getting into this and other stations too...

built okayplayer tough!
say No to okayplayer.
okayplayer: it's everywhere you want to be.
did somebody say okayplayer?
there are somethings in life that money can't buy. for everything else there's okayplayer

http://homepages.go.com/~mseyoum

25051, damn...
Posted by ILLWILL, Tue Apr-04-00 02:48 PM
it's a step in the right direction compared to the last album, but shit....i exected better than that! fuck...y'all (label folk) need to release Geto Heaven Part 2 as a single so that Com can make a video with that little naked sex symbol guy with cornrows and have females losing their minds to buy the album...better yet, release a video and put that song on the radio but don't release a commercial single, that will FORCE people to buy the album if they want the song...it worked for Gangstarr's last album (Royalty with K-Ci and Jojo) and it can work for this album.

ILLWILL
--------

"Nick and Rhome gang up on me on the threeway."--Steve

"LOL..I dont get with yellow men"--Steve

"ok I really need to smoke a butt"--Steve

"It's all about me, me, me, me, me, and I'm Mya with a big dick though and you faggot like Sisqo"--Ras Kass

"What I don't understand is how can Sisqo, who's like 190 in gay years come out with a damn song about thongs and then title the shit 'thong song'?"--Mil

"Sisqo scored a 60 on the Gay Slam Dunk contest... I saw it on GaySPN."--Mil

"Sisqo is a 12.4 on the gay richter scale."--Mil
25052, RE: damn...
Posted by tinyteanie, Tue Apr-04-00 05:01 PM
Com's fly enough to get his own shit . . .he don't need naked boy to sell albums . . . that kinda sucks don't ya think?

He should put on a cornrow wig and lift some weight . . .yeah that's it, and them do a video with ?uest love doing the same thing! Look out Little X . . . Tinyteanie coming through on the director jawn!
Tiny
25053, RE: damn...
Posted by label_guy, Wed Apr-05-00 07:59 AM
not an option.....standard business dictates that Virgin Records won't clear D'Angelo right now for a competing single/artist due to them focusing on his own single on making money off his own record.
LG
25054, how long is that for?
Posted by ILLWILL, Wed Apr-05-00 11:43 PM
>not an option.....standard business dictates that
>Virgin Records won't clear D'Angelo
>right now for a competing
>single/artist due to them focusing
>on his own single on
>making money off his own
>record.
>LG

How long does this last? I mean, MCA already plans to release "The Light" as the next single, let's say that after that single and D's album has started to die down, would they allow the single to be made then? I'd see it being benificial to both because if both albums are dying down, then "Geto Heaven" as a single would help both artists sell more records...but then again, there's probably some more label crap that would hold that back.

ILLWILL
--------

"Nick and Rhome gang up on me on the threeway."--Steve

"LOL..I dont get with yellow men"--Steve

"ok I really need to smoke a butt"--Steve

"It's all about me, me, me, me, me, and I'm Mya with a big dick though and you faggot like Sisqo"--Ras Kass

"What I don't understand is how can Sisqo, who's like 190 in gay years come out with a damn song about thongs and then title the shit 'thong song'?"--Mil

"Sisqo scored a 60 on the Gay Slam Dunk contest... I saw it on GaySPN."--Mil

"Sisqo is a 12.4 on the gay richter scale."--Mil
25055, Ya gotta remember...
Posted by guest, Tue Apr-04-00 04:23 PM
That the buying power in this country is still in the hands of white adolescents. Hip Hop isn't trendy anymore. The trend is fruity fabricated boy bands with 50-yr old managers. I told everone one I knew to "cop the common". Don't fret peeps. At least Com will be around in 10 years.

"Why do the industry build careers that don't last?" Mos Def.
25056, Damned MP3s and bootleggers!
Posted by Nesta, Tue Apr-04-00 04:34 PM

"Is someone speaking? Do I hear someone speaking?" - Uncle Junior Corrado of the Sopranos

"And cos of Nesta today I'm using more horns in my songs" - Krewcial OKP Song Pt. 2

The Smut Phoenix has arisen, and the Floozy Age now officially begins - no more fun and games. All who are inexperienced and just plain wack in bed - be afraid. Be very afraid." - Didi

"I could be a pimp right now if I wanted to be. My pimp game is strong." - Snoop on the Howard Stern Show
25057, RE: Damned MP3s and bootleggers!
Posted by BrainChild, Tue Apr-04-00 04:36 PM
TRUE!!!

Damn them all to hell!!!!!!

--me--

25058, Seriously though
Posted by Nesta, Tue Apr-04-00 04:38 PM
I think these are respectable numbers. Com is not a pop artist and this album is not pop fare. I have no fuckin idea why some of y'all have mentioned N-Sunc and the like. These are two different worlds. It's also not Jay-Z or DMX or Cash Money or Ruff Ryders. He also had no real big hype surrounding the release. He might go gold an that's all that can be realistically expected from an artist like Com without some amazing promotion adn FunkMaster Flex and MTV playing the album all day.

25059, RE: Seriously though
Posted by Shaun_G, Tue Apr-04-00 04:46 PM
Thanks Nesta a voice of reason. Common's getting hardly any radio or video play, and people expect better numbers than this? Other than this site and a couple of ads and articles in some magazines within the last month or two, who knew he was coming out with a new album anyway?

People think that okayplayer is a bigger/more popular site than it actually is. People on here are in the minority when it comes to musical taste.

Shaun G.
25060, Context
Posted by Nesta, Tue Apr-04-00 04:54 PM
is so so important.

The number of people that share the tastes and beliefs of music witht he people on this site are relatively small. Not to mention a lot of the negative comments that a lot of "real" hip-hop heads have made on Com's musical progression can't help.

If they want to move units they better release the single w/ D'Ang and make a fat-ass video so that BET and MTV will play it all day. This is business, D'Ang is hot now, ride his coattails so that more people will be exposed to LWFC. Otherwise the album will fight to go gold.

25061, release geto heaven?
Posted by BrainChild, Wed Apr-05-00 05:20 AM
not yet.

if they want to release that as a single, i would wait to see what happens after the next d'angelo single comes out. if d's single blows up, then people still care about him, and then when the single dies down, release geto heaven as a single.

also, virgin might have a problem with releasing it as a single. their reasoning being that they think it might cut into the sales of Voodoo.

the logical choice for the next single, i think would be Funky For You, followed by Cold Blooded, followed by Geto Heaven.... that is.. if MCA doesn't kill the album off before then.

--me--

25062, You're right! n/m
Posted by Nesta, Wed Apr-05-00 05:37 AM

25063, RE: release geto heaven?
Posted by Guinness, Wed Apr-05-00 05:46 AM
>the logical choice for the next
>single, i think would be
>Funky For You, followed by
>Cold Blooded, followed by Geto
>Heaven.... that is.. if
>MCA doesn't kill the album
>off before then.

in reality, most hiphop albums these days really only have a maximum of three singles. and many only have two. the next single that common brings out is likely the one that will make or break the album, from a financial standpoint. if his second single doesn't sell, the odds are that mca won't really push the third effort very hard (example: common's third single off "one day"). i think that "ghetto heaven" is the obvious call here. not because i think it's necessarily the best song, but because d'angelo is on the track. look what lauryn did for nas on "if i ruled the world" as evidence to the popularity that a hot r&b artist can bring to a single.

you better bring me some muthafuckin' cognac or i'll kill you -- supherb

since when did alcohol, violence and destruction of property have anything
to do with the irish? - kent brockman
25064, RE: release geto heaven?
Posted by BrainChild, Wed Apr-05-00 07:45 AM
my logic is this:

mca did a ballsy move by making the first "official" single "The Sixth Sense." THat was a move to get the true heads aware of the album. Now, Geto Heaven will get a massive amount of notoriety just because of D'angelo's involvement.. but I have a feeling that Virgin would veto that decision (I think they have the power to do that... anyone know the deal? i'm thinking this because look what happened with Southern Gul... Motown released it as a single instead of MCA). Anyway. And besides the fact that Summer is coming up soon, Funky For You has the potential to be the song you hear comin out of every car. If they wait until the end of this month or the beginning of next month to release it, pow! i think it'll take off.

if they release geto heaven, which i see as more of a mid-late summer choice for a single, i think it might hurt the album. i also don't think it should be released right after Funky For You because it's possible that the "true heads" might get turned off by that single and if they release one of the 'harder' cuts like Cold Blooded, it'll get them back and those who slept on the album will pick it up. THen they can drop Geto Heaven.

there's a method to my madness...

--me--

25065, "As long as its FUNKY..."
Posted by xangeluvr, Wed Apr-05-00 07:44 PM
my thoughts:

i personally don't think that the release of "geto heaven" would be a very smart move. i mean, the point here is to try to get more people to buy the album and get open to common, right? and the way to do that is to get a song that radio stations and video channels will be willing to play and reach the masses. i can't see any station playing "geto heaven" except during those late night, nobody is listenin, insomniac theater, radio shows. we need a song that will be played during optimal times like rush hour and early evening. feel me?

people that listen to the radio go and buy albums when they hear something catchy in a song. i would say that most listeners want beats that are more upbeat, you know, something they can nod their heads to and move to. "geto heaven" is NOT this song. "Funky For You," however, is another story:
-1. this song has a dope, upbeat tempo that i can see people bumpin' out their cars and even at clubs and ish.
-2. ok, Com does that thing with the "ooh" and "uh" and "hey" that i think will be able to catch people and have 'em repeating that ish.
-3. the song also has a sing-along hook that "hooks" people. seriously, i know that most of you at one time or another has gone and bought an album simply because a hook stayed in your head!

its really simple. radio listeners want something that is "catchy." isn't this why people like DMX and Cash Money are so popular? they got uptempo beats, memorable hooks, and little signature's in their songs (ie. DMX's "grrrrr" and Juvenile's "HA").

it has been said.
25066, RE: release geto heaven?
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 06:17 AM
First of all, Mos Def's BOBS is MUCH, MUCH better than LWFC. So, comparing it to BOBS isn't going to do LWFC any justice. As if BOBS was some fly by night wack album that LWFC should easily outperform, don't sleep, it was dope as hell.

There were a lot of hip hop heads who really didn't like how LWFC incorporated so much R&B and smoothed out jazz flavors into it. Some may disagree, but you cannot deny public perception. The perception among hip hop heads is that the album comes a little too soft and smooth. And you can criticize their taste all you want, but they're the consumer. So if you're trying to go platinum, you gotta address the perception issue. If you're not trying to sell a million copies, then do yo' thang and don't look back.

Hip Hop heads wanted more straight up hip hop with Common flowin' and spittin' lyrics the way only Common can. Common is 100% hip hop. Common's core base are the hardcore hip hop heads who will buy a Common album without hearing anything on it first. But word of mouth is so powerful. If you hear your other homies that you know are true hip hop heads saying the album is too R&B-ish, then they're gonna trust the opinion of their homie.

They're also gonna feel let down becuz they've always expected Com to come with the real. No sales and chart reaching, the real. Beats and rhymes, knowledge and flowin', the whole hip hop aura is what they want. They are hip hop, so that's what they want. An artist always run the risk of losing their core base if they try to attract listeners from other genres or mainstream "whatever's hot right now listeners". But Hip hop won't be so forgiving and understanding.

Hip hop heads don't want to hear D'Angelo or the Roots when they buy a Common album, they want Common and that 100% B-boy hip hop style he has. That doesn't mean they don't like D'Angelo or The Roots, it's just that they like them all as they are individually. It's also not that they're against incorporating A LITTLE R&B flavor into the album, as evidenced by the fact that One Day had cuts with Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill, and Chantay Savage.

They all had some R&B flavor, but no one screamed about too much R&B on One Day. Even though those sistas sang the hooks on those songs, the songs still maintained a hip hop aura and flavor to them. There was also enough hard beats and dope cuts on the album to keep a balance, LWFC does not maintain that balance. Once you get past nodding to "Dooinit", it seems like all the real just deflates from the album. Not that the rest of the songs are bad, but no more of the real.

I understand Com needs to get him money on like everybody else, but changing your style a little too much to go after the sales and the charts can alienate your true fan base. Hip hop is a rebellious genre that can also be quite unforgiving when one they've regarded as a pioneer of the true art form show signs of abandoning it and going after the attention of the mainstream. It's a very thin line, ask Big Daddy Kane, he crossed it and it ain't been the same since.
25067, I agree...
Posted by chocolateboywonder, Wed Apr-05-00 09:35 AM
I know many that feel that way about this album. I for one feel that way. I bought the album anyway out of respect and plan to buy more to hand out peeps who "don't know, but front and don't ask." Common will not go plat by relying on "heads" where I'm from, because all the "heads" down here get down with radio stations and get free hand out copies or have gangs of bootleg tapes and what not.

This album was weird in that it didn't seem to have many strong single calibar songs. I mean, besides the Primo banger (which was mad pop if you ask me) everything else was almost very non pop/non radio playable. Either that or the other songs were just as good as the other and it was hard to pick. Personally, I think The Questions would be a dope summer single because Mos Def is on there and (unfortunately) is a bit trendy now and more recognizable now to the MTV suburban music buying audience and it has a nice feel to it. It's not necessarily the dopest song on the album (I wish Com had gotten Kweli on the album rather than Mos) but I think it would work nicely.

I wouldn't count the chickens too soon tho, I think the album sales will pick up. Kids need to make bigger noise about new albums coming out. Common needs a Hype Williams video. :P That was a joke, but then again, not really.

one love

fwmj:frankwilliammillerjunior:chocolateboywonder

http://newelement.org/frankie/
http://tofproject.org/
http://crooklyndodgers.com/ - soon
25068, princeguy hit it on the head
Posted by funkyprez, Thu Apr-06-00 07:21 PM

There was once a time in hiphop when if you had an r'n'b singer on your hook, you were branded with the scarlet letter of hiphop:

"SELL-OUT"

Fortunately "real" heads eased up, and "credible" artists started doing this (e.g. roots, outkast, etc.) But Common really pushed it too far this time.

I love Water for chocolate, but I think it put Com in "no man's land". Remember Souls of MIschief's sophomore album by the same name (ironically)? It was neither here nor there -- too "hiphop" for that oaktown gangsta bump, but too much wessyde bump for the underground headz...

25069, RE: release geto heaven?
Posted by guest, Mon Apr-10-00 12:12 PM
The day you ask an artist to stifle his progression is the day you ask him to no longer be "real."

This album is far more "real" than most anything available.
25070, Singles
Posted by delsbrothergeorge, Thu Apr-06-00 11:06 AM
I think "The Light" is a good call.

Why? Think about the stream of soul singers who have had varying degrees of success in the last year or so: Macy Gray...Kelis...Angie Stone...you could even throw L-Boog in there if you wanted to

The point is that there is a desire to find the "next" female singer to play on MTV/BET/Commercial Radio and I think Jill Scott has good a chance
to be the next one to get rotation. With her on the hook, "The Light" makes sense as the make-or-break joint.

I would follow that up w/ "Funky For You" in mid-to-late June because it is simply infectious and would undoubetly boost record sales.

As for first week sales, I agree with the post that stresses patience.

This album will sell...Eventually.

It has to, otherwise, God does not exist.

Why did Doctor J shave his beard and mustache?---Mos Def

25071, RE: Damned MP3s and bootleggers!
Posted by Gloworm, Wed Apr-05-00 05:43 AM
err...Nesta, _______ (fill in the blank)

and N'Sync has been bootlegged a while.

"I got my feet on the ground and I don't go to sleep to dream" - Fiona Apple
25072, yall need to step into REALITY
Posted by yosh, Wed Apr-05-00 05:59 AM
everyone who is comparing COM's soundscan debut to NSYNC, or thinking that com selling 72,000 records is a disappointment is on CRACK!!! we all here are fans of com sense, and the roots, but take a glimpse into reality!!! first off Common tripled the first weeks sales of his last album, which is amazing. second, he has little airplay on the current single, and the airplay he does have is on only urban radio stations, no crossover or pop stations are touching his records. NSync's first single has been number one as far as radio play goes for 4 weeks and counting. Then there's video airplay. Common is on BET and the BOX, and guess what, those outlets do NOT move units!! its all about MTV, and com gets no love from MTV. basically, this album is incredible, but it isnt the type of record i listen to and think "wow this will sell 4 million copies". lets all keep the buzz going on this record on the streets, but if com and the record company want to go gold, the only way it will happen is single number 2 FEATURING DANGELO(who sold 33K this week, his _10th_ week out).

"Drink Listerine, brush my teeth with amphetamine
So I can sound fresh and say dope things in between" -Ras Kass
25073, Let the chuch say AMEN!!!!! n/m
Posted by Nesta, Wed Apr-05-00 06:33 AM

25074, Bootlegger & MP3s are not the Problem
Posted by cpoindex, Wed Apr-05-00 06:57 AM
The Bottom line is that 70% of Hip-hop record sales come from suburban white kids. So it's not about whether the true hip-hop heads feel the album. It's not about some cats selling a few albums on the street. The truth is if you want Multi-platinum sales then MTV has got to be pumping your sh*t. OR, white kids feel they can rebel & piss their parents off by buying some hip-hop contraband. Realistically, I think Common would have more luck if he targeted the slightly oldered Black Music listener demographic. It is the 23-37 Black working class who could push the album over the top. It seems that Com's album is appropiate for the same market that pushes artist like D'angelo, Maxwell, Lauryn Hill into platinum success. F*ck, sweating Funk Master Flex, Com needs to be trying to get on Tom Joyner so maybe some of his 5 MILLION listener's will cop LWFC.

Disclaimer: Criticism does not equate to Hating. There is a thin line between negativity and the craft of criticism and though Fans and Artist may hate critics, it is the critic who solidifies an artist's place in history. Remember, "Hating" is a term created by the untalented to defend their wackness. Love.
25075, About the MP3 thing...
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 08:39 AM
Most Common fans are REAL Common fans, and bought his album. When someone like Mobb Deep gets bootlegged, it's a problem cause they got a lot of half-assed fans (such as myself) who just like their beats.

Here's another problem. i turned a lot of my friends on to Common. And when the new album came out, I'm like 'this is the best album of the year, it's mad dope.. listen to it'. Then their like 'it's tight, burn me a copy'. I'm like: "FUCK NO! Music this dope has to be supported". But then most of these kids don't give a fuck about real music.. even though I convinced them that it is dope, they simply don't care about dopeness. The only things they'd actually buy in a store is something that is wildly popular, and I don't quite know why.
25076, aight...
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 06:39 AM
i kinda have to agree here. although we all know lwfc deserves better numbers in the first week you do have to look at it logically. you know after some time the smoothness that is lwfc will be recognized by all!

peace

-madmonkey

"I DON'T KNOW KARATE BUT I KNOW CaRAZY!" -JAMES BROWN
25077, THANK YOU!
Posted by Kemp, Wed Apr-05-00 06:42 AM
first off
>Common tripled the first weeks
>sales of his last album,
>which is amazing.
second, he
>has little airplay on the
>current single, and the airplay
>he does have is on
>only urban radio stations, no
>crossover or pop stations are
>touching his records.
Exactly! Com's sales FLEW and people are bitching? I'm happy as hell for him. "This" type of hip hop is making some signifigant strides in sales and exposure, you got The Roots and the Mighty Mos getting plaques and the like, it's gonna take somemore time, it'll happen. He didn't have a large ammount of exposure so the sales are even more promising, imagine what the right single could do. And you NEVER know what the next single could bring, look at shit like Macy Gray and Angie Stone, they got some plaques and there shit did not put extrodinarie numbers out the gate, I don't even think Macy debuted in the top 100. So we just have to wait and see, I know Com's been waiting and seeing for some time now but look at the progress, it's there and hopefully some plaques will be there to.

peace

Reasons for a gun only one, strong believer in self-preservation-Andre Benjamin

This mark asked me if I know his cousin Jimbo/n!??@ I don't even know myself!-Com-mon,"That's my mufucka!"

Supercalafragilisticespealidocious/
Dociousespealifragilisticcalasuper!-
Ghostface Killah and Mary Poppins

Never disrespecting these women cause I love my mama!-Talib Kweli

When you say you're dope that's false advertising-KRS-One

25078, RE: yall need to step into REALITY
Posted by EAS, Wed Apr-05-00 07:25 AM
I agree. I think in order to sell records, you just can't give the people want they need, you must also balance in want they want. You sort of have to trick them. Even though it is possible, it's extremely difficult to get that gold/platinum status without a 'crossover' song and connections to key players such as Mtv and popular d.j.'s. I don't think that doing a video with D' Angelo will help with regards to exposure because we all saw Com do a song with Lauryn Hill on his last album; and that hardly helped.
I think Com should experiment. For his next video, I think he should be iced down with half-naked women all over the place while Hype Williams or Paul Hunter directs. Guest appearances should include Funkmaster Flex, Tigger, Fred Durst, Eminem, Snoop, and Carson Daily. All of this should be going on while Com spits thoughtful, meaningful lyrics.
25079, I learned long ago.....
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 07:09 AM
To expect the worse and hope for the best in this Rap GAME.

...Find heaven in yourself and God.- Common

For you to grow, he had to go, so what you stoppin'em for. -Common
25080, Actually not a Bad Idea
Posted by cpoindex, Wed Apr-05-00 07:30 AM
Yo,

Com should appear ICED out with Backup dancers & do a parody of modern rap acts, but don't say it is a parody. Sorta Like that ROOTS joint video, but don't explicitly say it a parody.

Disclaimer: Criticism does not equate to Hating. There is a thin line between negativity and the craft of criticism and though Fans and Artist may hate critics, it is the critic who solidifies an artist's place in history. Remember, "Hating" is a term created by the untalented to defend their wackness. Love.
25081, Maybe Com should be naked in his next video...
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 08:12 AM
I agree that the best move from a strictly business standpoint would be to release "Ghetto Heaven". At least that's how it appears. I mean, after all, Com did put out a single with Lauryn Hill which to my knowledge did NOT blow up. So it's possible (however very unlikely, I think) that "Ghetto Heaven" would not blow up. As for whoever said Nas blew up cause of Lauryn Hill, I disagree. "If I Ruled The World" blew up cause it was an ill concept, an ill (and mainstream accessible) beat, and had ill lyrics. Lauryn helped, no doubt, but to say that you can put out anything with (insert popular artist hear) and it will blow up is probably false.

Now. "The Light". I agree with putting this out as the next single, simply because it's the next best song on the album (to "The 6th Sense"). Not only that, but like "If I Ruled The World", it's an ill concept that a lot of people can relate to, an ill (again, mainstream accessible) beat, and has ill lyrics. To me, I can't see how this song would not blow up. That is to say, if MCA handles it correctly. Personally, I think "The Light" will be Com's best single to date from a marketing perspective, hands down.

In the past, Com has been releasing songs that are too deep for the radio. Simple as that. Nobody wants to hear a song about abortion while driving down the street. "Retrospective..." is one of my favorite songs on the album, but it's simply too deep for radio. Same with "I Used To Love H.E.R." It's a five minute metaphor. If you don't understand hip-hop's history, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET IT. So releasing it as a single is a mistake because the only people who want to hear it are the "real heads" who already own the album anyway. Releasing "Funky For You" or "Cold Blooded" or "Thelonious" or "The Questions" or any song like that would be a mistake. The "real head" market has already been tapped into with "The 6th Sense". We already own his album. So it's time to tap into a new demographic. Hence, you release "The Light". It's not a deep song. You don't have to like rap music at all to love the song. If you've ever had feelings for a person of the opposite sex (which is most everybody) then you'll feel it. It's gonna hit home for a lot of people who don't understand/like hip-hop enough to appreciate joints like "The 6th Sense". That's why it WILL blow up.

---------------------------
"when science finally locates the center of the universe, some people will be surprised to learn they're not it."
- unknown

"words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them."
- nathaniel hawthorne

"whatever happens it was written, meaning God meant it..."
- nasir jones
25082, Geto Heaven CANT happen
Posted by Nesta, Wed Apr-05-00 08:26 AM
Look at label buys response above. I thought the D'Ang thing was he route to go too. But his label won't let him do it, while his album is still trying to garner sales.

Maybe if Com put Jennifer Love_Hewitt in his video? MTV would play it for sure then.

25083, female lead for the light video
Posted by naijagirl, Wed Apr-05-00 08:33 AM
forget about jennifer love hewitt....how about jennifer lopez. that will get some mtv airplay.

:-)

jk.

peace.
25084, Destiny's Child
Posted by fire, Wed Apr-05-00 08:37 AM
Their black and Mtv loves them.

Or maybe, he could get Pamela Anderson Lee, yeah that's the ticket.

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

25085, FUNKY 4 U - PART II
Posted by fire, Wed Apr-05-00 08:35 AM
Since Bilal and Jill are both "emerging" artists and the hook is straight funkiness and mix show possibility.....Ya'll ain't hearing me.....it's almost summer....ya need jeep music.....The Light.....as beautiful as I think it is....ain't nothing to pump at the basketball court in the summer out yo hummer....ya'll ain't hearing me

listen to fire she knows things (c)

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

25086, RE: Maybe Com should be naked in his next video...
Posted by label_guy, Wed Apr-05-00 09:32 AM
Good post micah.....we share a lot of the same views.
Here's some official info regarding singles:
April 17th - promo only vinyl of "Funky For You" ships to mixshows & college DJs & record pools, etc.
Early May - "The Light" vinyl ships to DJs and promo CDs ship to commercial radio
2nd week of May - "The Light" video ships to BET, MTV & The Box (we hope to shoot the video the last week of April)

LG

"Still doin this sh*t like dude in Wild Style" - Common

25087, Label guy listen to me
Posted by fire, Wed Apr-05-00 09:38 AM
I know things (c)

Funky for you = Mix Show Mania!

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

25088, RE: Label guy listen to me
Posted by label_guy, Wed Apr-05-00 10:23 AM
I feel ya, that is why we are puttin out the single the middle of this month. Because the joint is hott, we expect DJs to bump it for a while.

Also, I am definitely a fan of your sense of humor.

LG
25089, I Must Throw My Support Behind Fire
Posted by bshelly, Wed Apr-05-00 07:45 PM

Label guy, do you know how much I bug out for each and every "uh?"

Bryan
aim=bshelly24

Are you a rockandrollkayplayer? Come see my band!! Yell at me for tickets!!

Hite Nine
April 30
Trocadero, Philly

Radio Free Jose--
http://216.254.69.66:8080/ramgen/encoder/okayplayer.ram

CELEBRATING APRIL AS WACK QUOTE MONTH ON OKAYPLAYER.COM --
"Your face is slammin', your body's heck-a-slammin'." --you better know who
25090, see the light.
Posted by funkyprez, Thu Apr-06-00 07:31 PM
The light is definitely the way to go. Too many posts here already explain why.

Geto heaven is not a good choice for a next single , not now, not ever. Despite D'Angelo's guest appearance, it is NOT radio-friendly. It is too "boring" for the attention-deficient radio listener. Plus, with a title like "geto heaven", people will start to wonder why "this ain't Tupac"

25091, Album Cover
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 08:35 AM
This is my first time posting, but does anybody think that the CD's cover art could have deterred some interest from the suburban crowd? I thought it was interesing how the title of Mos' CD, 'Black on Both Sides, was obscurely written on the side of the CD case. Also, the clever design of the back and front of Mos' head made the cover "less threatening". Common on the otherhand was more outright with his choice of artwork and some miseducated folk may have been offended by it, leading them not to have interest in the CD. Just a thought.
25092, RE: Album Cover
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 09:16 AM
Some feel threatened by Common's lyrics because they are deep. they feel like who wants to listen to some deep shit while you are in a club. Most of them are into Swizz Beatz right now. Drag On's "Niggas Die for Me" and DMX's "Party Up" are getting cccrrrraaaazzzyyyy airplay and look how many curses are in the song. They really aren't rapping about shit, but the track is hot. It's the beat. That what radio stations are looking for. As for MTV, they aren't into playing "deep shit" because it's doesn't fit into their demographics.

Release the shit with the hot beats as radio and video, the MAYBE people will begin to catch on.
25093, RE: Album Cover
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 02:40 PM
On this note about the cover, had I been in charge of marketing this album to generate maximum sales, I personally would have put Common (his face or whole body or whatever) on his album cover. I don't know a single woman who doesn't think Common is one of the flyest/sexiest invididuals they've ever laid their eyes on and recognize him more by his face than his voice or music :). Furthermore, I think a lot of men get a really good vibe from Common's physical essence as well (geuss he's just one of those "likeable" dudes hehe).... I know it's all really about the music.... but seriously, homeboy could be marketed for his looks EASILY and we all know that thins kind of marketing works, and when it's done tasefully and artisticly I don't think there's anything "sell-out" or "un-real" or whatever about it....

peace

quiz
http://astralmajesty.fly.to

25094, RE: Album Cover
Posted by label_guy, Wed Apr-05-00 03:32 PM
quizativ, I understand where you are coming from. However, Common came with a clear cut vision on how he wanted this album presented from the title to the Gordon Parks vintage photo cover. We did make a double sided poster with a close-up photo of Common on one side and the album cover image on the other. I think they have a picture of the poster in the news section for the "Common pack".
LG
25095, RE: Album Cover
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 08:14 PM
>quizativ, I understand where you are
>coming from. However, Common came
>with a clear cut vision
>on how he wanted this
>album presented from the title
>to the Gordon Parks vintage
>photo cover.

The artists' say IS most important. If this is what Com wanted, then true, even if I was in charge of marketing his album, it's his work of art, and his decision re: the cover.

I wonder how Com feels about this now and about his sales so far and wether he thinks he might have done something different.

I mean, I know Com isn't (thank goodness) the type to sell his soul for record sales, but strategically putting your face on the cover might not qualify as selling one's soul (it's not like it's in the same realm as doing music you don't like just so that you can make money). :-) I'd love to see him get those sales #'s that Mos and Roots have seen.... but I'm not sure, with the kind of music he does, that the world is ready to allow that to happen :)

quiz
25096, UUmmmmmm, sorry, but I'm lost.
Posted by StillWaters, Wed Apr-05-00 10:41 AM
OK. I bought newest Jawn and I am most proud of it. It's s sign of maturity and progression.
Now labelguy gives me these numbers. Sweety's, I'm a Literature/English/Secondary Education major. Math makes me dizzy. Now, I'm not altogether slow, so let get this straight. In a nutshell...Com's numbers should be better?, is that right?
I have a few questions...
What has to happen in order for Common's numbers to go up?
Is this totally up to the fans?
Does the money alloted to the artist for promotion of his work matter?
Does the selection of the next single matter?

I'm not musically inclined, but I can dance a tad. Most of all, I am a fan that wouldn't mind seeing a fur trimmed Common run up on stage kissing everyone and thanking a whole bunch of people in his Grammy acceptance speech. So what needs to happen? And what can I do outside of buying the CD?

that is all.

The brutal truth is that the bulk of white people in America never had any interest in educating black people, except as this could serve white purposes. It is not the black child's language that is in question, it is not his language that is despised: It is his experience. A child cannot be taught by anyone who despises him, and a child cannot afford to be fooled. A child cannot be taught by anyone whose demand, essentially, is that the child repudiate his experience, and all that gives him sustenance, and enter a limbo in which he will no longer be black, and in which he knows that he can never become white. Black people have lost too black children that way. (James Baldwin)
25097, RE: UUmmmmmm, sorry, but I'm lost.
Posted by fire, Wed Apr-05-00 11:01 AM

So what
>needs to happen? And
>what can I do outside
>of buying the CD?
>
>that is all.

Two Words: STREET TEAM

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

25098, Hey girl....
Posted by StillWaters, Wed Apr-05-00 11:03 AM
I am on the DC Street Team.

How you doing Fire? Hope everything's going well. Especially the phone sex.

The brutal truth is that the bulk of white people in America never had any interest in educating black people, except as this could serve white purposes. It is not the black child's language that is in question, it is not his language that is despised: It is his experience. A child cannot be taught by anyone who despises him, and a child cannot afford to be fooled. A child cannot be taught by anyone whose demand, essentially, is that the child repudiate his experience, and all that gives him sustenance, and enter a limbo in which he will no longer be black, and in which he knows that he can never become white. Black people have lost too black children that way. (James Baldwin)
25099, hee hee
Posted by fire, Wed Apr-05-00 11:11 AM
im doing juss fine.

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

25100, How Can I Be Down?
Posted by Focus, Wed Apr-05-00 09:27 PM
Com is one of (if not) my all time favorite MC, and I want to do whatever I can to help him succeed. I've already bought LWFC on CD and vinyl. I saw you mention the street team. I live right outside Colorado Springs and I spend lots of time in Denver and Boulder. So how exactly can I get down with the street team?
25101, One Thing is For Sure ......................................
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 03:01 PM
HoMeBrO SaYs Common's getting mad promotion, something he lacked before.

Common has to find balance, between the hardcore fans, the knuckleheads, mainstream junkies, and the average person from around the way.

Common if your promotion and ideas aint working, then copy someone else's forumula, but then you would be living a lie, woundn't you.

Im so pleased to say Mos Def, and The Roots go gold, Im still shocked as of today. Can they continue the sucess?!?!?! Only time shall tell.

25102, MCA, JUNK COMMON NOW!, HE AINT SHIT
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-05-00 03:03 PM
HoMeBrO SaYs GET RID OF HIM, CUT YOUR LOSSES, MAKE MOS DEF DO ANOTHER ALBUM. COMMON AINT BRINGING IN ANY PROFIT. THE REVOLUTION SHALL END.

sorry I coundn't resist...............

25103, wait...
Posted by RamXL, Wed Apr-05-00 06:24 PM
in he first week, things fall apart sold 80,000 units, and went on to sell gold.....why is com dommed?? 72,000 of a primo single, which gets him nan radio play...whereas the Roots had You Got Me....i dont think there is any reason com cant go gold with a more "friendly" single....

One Love
RamXL
(beat junkie)

"yo you wanna know how to improve the quality of life? Try respecting it" Kweli

25104, 72,000 is alright....
Posted by guest, Thu Apr-06-00 03:46 AM
compared to the last albums sales, LWFC is dooin alright but the album is much better than 72,000. It should definitly be Gold by the end of may or i'm going to have to start buying alota Christmas gifts already!!

The one thing that I have noticed while being on the Philly team is that alot of stores will totally sell out of a cd like "Come Alive" or The Jazzy's and not order more. Thats when I step up and start bitchen at the manager or the person in charge. So now on they no better and always have okayplayer in stock with their displays.SO they don't gotta hear me bitchin. But it bugs me out that they wouldn't order more than they originally did cause it's SOLD OUT. So this is something LABEL PEOPLE need to fix in order to sell LWFC. You gotta make sure that big stores like the Tower's and the best buy's are
re-ordering the album and not letting the shelves stay empty

-somethin to think about!!

pz,
Justin

25105, I bet Drag-On doubled that number,
Posted by Kemp, Thu Apr-06-00 06:06 AM
And really he ain't sht but an overblown ego. We'll see with Com though, "TFA" stayed in the top 20 for a minute, which is how they managed to go gold. Hopefully Com can stay there and won't drop to #34 or #47 or some sht.

peace

Reasons for a gun only one, strong believer in self-preservation-Andre Benjamin

This mark asked me if I know his cousin Jimbo/n!??@ I don't even know myself!-Com-mon,"That's my mufucka!"

Supercalafragilisticespealidocious/
Dociousespealifragilisticcalasuper!-
Ghostface Killah and Mary Poppins

Never disrespecting these women cause I love my mama!-Talib Kweli

When you say you're dope that's false advertising-KRS-One

25106, Beautiful
Posted by Kev, Thu Apr-06-00 06:51 PM
I wanted to post this myself.i did not know the exact numbers,but I sdaw that Com started at #16 on the top 200 and #5 on the R&B chart.Im really feeling good about this and im proud to say im one of the 73,000 that help him get there.He has to go gold.Com keep killing them kid.

You couln't fuck with the style if you was a nympho-Common

One1
25107, LET'S PIMP COMMON!!
Posted by DivineVersatile, Mon Apr-10-00 04:05 AM
QUICKLY!! WHILE LIGHT-SKINNED NIGGAS IS STILL IN!!!

I GOT A PLAN!!

What we can do is get Com to strip naked and have a camera pan back slow while people be asking themselves is he nake....

(Psst...psst...psst)

WHAT THE EFF DO YOU MEAN SOMEONE ALREADY DID THAT?!?!?

(Psst...psst...psst)

DO YOU REALLY THINK PEOPLE WILL NOTICE? I MEAN...THIS OTHER GUY COULDN'T BE HALF AS BIG AS COM...

(Psst...psss...psst)

D'ANG....ER....I GOT THIS OTHER IDEA RIGHT? WE GET COM DECKED OUT IN A PINK ZOOT SUIT CARRYING A "I LOVE EVERYBODY" SIGN, RIGHT...

(Do we really want to know what he says next? Didn't think so. Ciao!!)

The Infamous DVSJ

25108, LOL!!
Posted by deacon, Wed Apr-12-00 04:13 AM
Yeah, Divine, I'm with you, but for the next video, we need about 100 half-naked"aspiring actresses" and a stretch Hummer. And Comm should rock a red leather Bulls jersey, and get Sammy Sosa to appear in the video. It'd make millions, I tell ya!

"Yo, check it, she the nectar the bee get close to" Mos Def
25109, i hope you kidding
Posted by cocoaprince, Fri Apr-14-00 08:27 AM
money is cool, but dont lose yo soul over it. if common does his game right, like he has, his success will be better than all this "fartboys" cause it was from the heart, hip-hop from the soul. i am tagging that line everywhere "hip-hop from the soul".