Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectAdvice to the Okayfamily
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24968
24968, Advice to the Okayfamily
Posted by spirit, Tue Apr-11-00 06:56 PM
Peace y'all,

Please heed my words if you don't listen to anything else I write. I have been on the Internet over 4 years now and this is one of the most peaceful spaces I have entered. In order for that peaceful family vibe to continue, you must heed my advice: IGNORE NEGATIVITY.

What does this mean? If you read a thread that is clearly inflammatory, which clearly attacks Okayartists or Okayposters IGNORE IT. LET IT SINK. Posts in this board only remain visible if people continue to respond to said posts. There is an equal and opposite reaction to everything. If you are loving and peaceful, there will be those who are hateful and warlike who try to destroy your vibe.

If you believe in keeping the family vibe here alive, please keep this message up for at least a day or so, just for everyone to see it and take heed. The moderators can't delete everything. If you ignore nonsense, it will sink and the positive discourse can continue unabated.

Feel me?

All in favor of keeping the peace can reply...negative individuals, feel free to keep marching on.

(Quest, you are truly one of the strongest brothers I know. Your humility amazes me)

Spread love,

Spirit
www.theamphibians.com

What: Breathe: A Celebration of the Life of Jason "Filli" Villaroman (RIP)
When: Sunday, April 30th 2000, 8pm-until
Where: 2:K:9 (2009 8th St NW, off the corner of 8th and U St, U Street metro stop)
How Much: $10

Featuring performances by:

Amphibians
Infinite Loop
Unspoken Heard
Scienz of Life (NY)
Team Demolition
Storm the Unpredictable (of Plexus)
Sub-Z and Kokayi (of Opus Akoben and Plexus)
Stronghold feat. Breez Evahflowin (NY)
Defined Print
Live Society
KHEMystery
In Shallah
and more...

Blessing the wheels of steel:

Taek One (Soul Camp)
Dirty Handz (Soul Camp)
RBI (Infinite Loop/State of the Union)

Proceeds to go towards the construction of The Filli Foundation, a nonprofit organization which will be dedicated to providing artists with a support system, knowledge, resources and opportunities to gain economic independence and maintain creative freedom.

SUPPORT THE HIP-HOP FAMILY, COME TO "BREATHE"

Spread the word...forward this message to anyone who loves hip-hop and can make it to DC for this momentous event...

24969, RE: Advice to the Okayfamily
Posted by guest, Tue Apr-11-00 07:08 PM
Push it up....keep it up
24970, my thoughts exactly
Posted by mikeONE, Tue Apr-11-00 07:41 PM
I know we all mean well when we see a derogatory post and respond to it by cussing out the guilty poster, but with enough folks doing that, it gives the post undeserved merit and attention. so good idea spirit.

peace.

built okayplayer tough!
say No to okayplayer.
okayplayer: it's everywhere you want to be.
did somebody say okayplayer?
there are somethings in life that money can't buy. for everything else there's okayplayer

http://homepages.go.com/~mseyoum

24971, RE: Advice to the Okayfamily
Posted by guest, Tue Apr-11-00 09:36 PM
word.
24972, yes and no
Posted by Quez, Tue Apr-11-00 10:14 PM
I know you're on some "heal the world" and "feed the children" shit right now but i disagree about the "negativity" comment. I think the word you're looking for is "ignorance".

Because if you look thru this site thuroughly, (read: OkayNews, WTF section, Jazzy's journals, D's Tour journal) you will see a lot of negativity and sarcasm. These things are what give okayplayer.com a personality of its own unlike a lot of other fan sites.

There is a lot of people gettin played, jocked, picked on, glorified, ignored, and shown up all over the boards.

There is a lot of comedy on this site on would consider negativity too, most of it by the webmasters so you cant outlaw that.

But ignorant people gotta go. A joke is a joke, laff and get laffed at!

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin
http://www.sheldon.bored.org
click there ===> http://www.BlackPlanet.com/Referrals/Quez/

"oh lawd Quez is here, okayplayer will never be the same" ---- some wise man

"The truth is, my crew is, the smoothest spitters of saliva juices like The Roots is, more Organic than acoustics" ---- Talib Kweli

"No need to mic test, you can feel it in ya chest... yo BEYAAAAATCH, feel it in her breasts" - Common
24973, keeping it up ...
Posted by guest, Tue Apr-11-00 10:36 PM
>I know you're on some "heal
>the world" and "feed the
>children" shit right now but
>i disagree about the "negativity"
>comment. I think the
>word you're looking for is
>"ignorance".
>
>Because if you look thru this
>site thuroughly, (read: OkayNews, WTF
>section, Jazzy's journals, D's Tour
>journal) you will see a
>lot of negativity and sarcasm.
> These things are what
>give okayplayer.com a personality of
>its own unlike a lot
>of other fan sites.
>
>There is a lot of people
>gettin played, jocked, picked on,
>glorified, ignored, and shown up
>all over the boards.
>
>There is a lot of comedy
>on this site on would
>consider negativity too, most of
>it by the webmasters so
>you cant outlaw that.

It isn't even that deep. Spirit explained what negativity to ignore in the original post. 'Inflammatory' is what's crucial:

"What does this mean? If you read a thread that is clearly inflammatory, which clearly attacks Okayartists or Okayposters IGNORE IT. LET IT SINK. Posts in this board only remain visible if people continue to respond to said posts. There is an equal and opposite reaction to everything. If you are loving and peaceful, there will be those who are hateful and warlike who try to destroy your vibe."
- Spirit

Herbsman.

"still smoking, still drinking, still maintain clear thinking" - Xzibit

"seize your time" - Marley

"is he really high?" - Ghostface

"People fight me a dem worth better for me ... when dem fight me, me can go slow and meditate of what dem fightin' me for - and make a song of it. Why do you think me write 'I Shot the Sheriff' and all dem tunes?" - Marley
24974, Not the solution
Posted by Quez, Tue Apr-11-00 11:02 PM
The solution for good message boards free of bullshit is good moderation. Cause even if half the people who read a post like "why are yall sooooo boring" there will still be that other have that will respond and the thread will live because it simply causes discussion.

People like simon are able to saturate the boards with bullshit cause he knows they wont be deleted. Its as simple as that. And who's gonna delete a sarcastic post by angiee?

JUST GET YO MODERATE ON MUTHAFUCKA.... yeah i said it, delete this shit! umm... AND WHAT!?!??

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin
http://www.sheldon.bored.org
click there ===> http://www.BlackPlanet.com/Referrals/Quez/

"oh lawd Quez is here, okayplayer will never be the same" ---- some wise man

"The truth is, my crew is, the smoothest spitters of saliva juices like The Roots is, more Organic than acoustics" ---- Talib Kweli

"No need to mic test, you can feel it in ya chest... yo BEYAAAAATCH, feel it in her breasts" - Common
24975, RE: yes and no
Posted by spirit, Sat Apr-15-00 04:22 PM
I'm on some "heal the world feed the children shit"? You say that like it's a bad thing (hurt the world, starve kids, right?). I know you're playing though (I hope). Anyway, my post was directed specifically to purely inflammatory messages. That means "FUCK (insert Okayplayer)". I mean, if you were on the street and someone yelled that, you would go over and get into a 20 minute discourse on why The Roots were dope, you'd just say "He's a knucklehead" and keep it moving. I'm endorsing the same here. Ignore the nonsense. You can't convince someone who says "Fuck (insert okayartist)" that said okayartist is actually dope and they have it all wrong. Let the knownots be knownots.

Spread love,

Spirit
www.theamphibians.com

Where: 2-K-9 (2009 8th St NW, off the corner of 8th and U St, U Street metro stop)

Amphibians
Infinite Loop
Unspoken Heard
Scienz of Life (NY)
Team Demolition
Defined Print
Live Society
KHEMystery
In Shallah
and more...

Taek One (Soul Camp)
Dirty Handz (Soul Camp)

Proceeds to go towards the construction of The Filli Foundation, a nonprofit organization which will be dedicated to providing artists with a support system, knowledge, resources and opportunities to gain economic independence and maintain creative freedom.

Spread the word...forward this message to anyone who loves hip-hop and can make it to DC for this momentous event...

24976, RE: yes and no (correction)
Posted by spirit, Sat Apr-15-00 04:27 PM
>specifically to purely inflammatory messages.
>That means "FUCK (insert Okayplayer)".
>I mean, if you were
>on the street and someone
>yelled that, you would go

would NOT go...

>over and get into a
>20 minute discourse on why
>The Roots were dope, you'd
>just say "He's a knucklehead"
>and keep it moving.

Spread love,

Spirit
www.theamphibians.com

Where: 2-K-9 (2009 8th St NW, off the corner of 8th and U St, U Street metro stop)

Amphibians
Infinite Loop
Unspoken Heard
Scienz of Life (NY)
Team Demolition
Defined Print
Live Society
KHEMystery
In Shallah
and more...

Taek One (Soul Camp)
Dirty Handz (Soul Camp)

24977, I'm With you spirit!
Posted by el_rey, Wed Apr-12-00 03:00 AM
Let that ish DROP. We shouldn't even dignify these fools with a response.

Put some lead shoes on that sucka.

love and respect,
El Rey

"We live the now for the promise of the infinite." - Mos Def

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org
http://www.mumia911.org

The Ofiicial fire quote librabry starts here:

I don't know it all but I do know lies when I read them. The foolish are fooling no one with their hating. - (c)fire

All I know is i made it to your supreme signature, i feel blessed. I'm gonna go cry now - (c)fire

Smoking weed is like eating oregano (I think). - (c)fire

When I am the millionaire I'm supposed to be I still don't want to lose touch with my community. - (c)fire

Tell Me the Meaning of Being Lonely could make me cry on the right day. - (c)fire

Some of my favorite artist's "happen" to be white. - (c)fire
24978, They won't listen
Posted by Nesta, Wed Apr-12-00 03:18 AM
I even lay the smack down as a guide but to no avail. It doesn't help that every time Simon changes his name and puts up another stupid post that Quest responds and then heads must feel that well if Quest responded let me add my two cents and then thet next thing you know the shit ahs 100 replies.

I don't get it, the ish is so transparent why can't y'all ignore it.

"Is someone speaking? Do I hear someone speaking?" - Uncle Junior Corrado of the Sopranos

"And cos of Nesta today I'm using more horns in my songs" - Krewcial OKP Song Pt. 2

The Smut Phoenix has arisen, and the Floozy Age now officially begins - no more fun and games. All who are inexperienced and just plain wack in bed - be afraid. Be very afraid." - Didi

"I could be a pimp right now if I wanted to be. My pimp game is strong." - Snoop on the Howard Stern Show
24979, Man, I been sayin that forever...
Posted by Phil, Wed Apr-12-00 03:23 AM
>I even lay the smack down
>as a guide but to
>no avail.

Man, I posted about this in General during the Thickness saga....I got all of 8 replies two of them mine. People want to be the one to "Shoot Em Down" with their witty remarks and in the end just get the other person more amped. Like spirit said, I've been on the net for a long time too, i've seen idiots come and i've seen idiots go.....they leave faster if you don't stop em to chat....ya dig???

Peace,
Phil

R.I.P.
Diogenes Moschovas
1933-2000

"I've got so much Charm, women call me Lucky" - Phil Copyright 2000
"Petty Thoughts for Petty Minds." - Phil Copyright 2000
"Okayplayer.com, first the Web, next, the World!" - Phil copyright 1999
"Phil, You're a Genius" - Kayci Copyright 1999
"I'm not a genius, I just say what other people should be thinking." - Phil Copyright 1999
"Girl, you so chicken, your Grandfather's name is Colonel Sanders" - Phil Copyright 1999
"You must have verbal diarrhea cuz all you do is talk shit." Phil Copyright 1999
24980, no doubt!
Posted by KD, Wed Apr-12-00 09:03 AM
there's a minority that's constantly tried to promote peace for months, but to no avail...i rarely create my own threads because i already know beforehand that if it doesn't contain anything redundant, derogatory, condescending, or just plain ole' ignorant about an okayartist, that sh*t sink to the bottom of the boards like the titanic...i've seen decent questions vanish w/out any replies and redundant comments get mad responses for saying "nothin' new"...but history has proven that niggas will keep responding to gossip over reality time and time again!
24981, I made a vow once
Posted by fire, Wed Apr-12-00 03:37 AM
in General Discussion, it lasted all of one day. Some people just piss you off.

But, Spirit, if you lead by example I will try to follow.

I ain't promising anything.

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

"I love you more than band music and cookie making!" :-)
- Daniel Monihan/The Other Sister

"from the pit of the bottom, that knows no floor" - D'Angelo

"If everyone did what they wanted, instead of what they should, there'd be CHAOS" ;-) - Simon Birch

"I must be an acrobat to talk like this and act like that" - Bono/U2

"Sign my publishing? What a laugh! I don't know Bo, but I do know math!" :D - Prince

"Somebody let me hold a #2 pencil cuz they testing!" :D :D - Dre/Kast

"You took me riding in your rocket & gave me a star, about a 1/2 mile from heaven you dropped me back down to this cold, cold world" :-( - Stevie

RESPECT MY AUTHORITA!!!!! :-) :-) Cartman/South Park

Fire vs. Drag-On: "I'm suing him for defamation/retardation of character!" - the "real" fire

"my heart exceeds it's normal pace, while oxygen takes a violent haze from my face" - Stokely/MintCondition

"You read MY whole post before you walk around here thinking you're breathing thunder and shit......"- Eccentric :D :D

EFF A SHORT SIGNATURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

firefire100@hotmail.com
24982, temptation ...
Posted by el_rey, Wed Apr-12-00 04:46 AM
gets us all in the end.

You know ... some peopole just can't stop playing with fire, even though they keep on gettin burned.

love and respect,
El Rey

"We live the now for the promise of the infinite." - Mos Def

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org
http://www.mumia911.org

The Ofiicial fire quote librabry starts here:

I don't know it all but I do know lies when I read them. The foolish are fooling no one with their hating. - (c)fire

All I know is i made it to your supreme signature, i feel blessed. I'm gonna go cry now - (c)fire

Smoking weed is like eating oregano (I think). - (c)fire

When I am the millionaire I'm supposed to be I still don't want to lose touch with my community. - (c)fire

Tell Me the Meaning of Being Lonely could make me cry on the right day. - (c)fire

Some of my favorite artist's "happen" to be white. - (c)fire
24983, RE: I made a vow once
Posted by spirit, Sat Apr-15-00 04:33 PM
lead by example? you see me responding to half the "idiot posts"? if someone says "(insert okayartist) is gay/wack/stupid" you will rarely see my name in response. From now on, make that *never*.

Spread love,

Spirit
www.theamphibians.com

Amphibians
Infinite Loop
Unspoken Heard
Scienz of Life (NY)
Team Demolition
Defined Print
Live Society
KHEMystery
In Shallah
and more...

Taek One (Soul Camp)
Dirty Handz (Soul Camp)

24984, RE: THANK YOU FOR THE WORDS!!!!
Posted by conesbitt1, Wed Apr-12-00 03:39 AM
Well said. Let's keep the OKAYLOVE!!!!
24985, exactly
Posted by Inez, Wed Apr-12-00 04:05 AM
obviously these types of people thrive off of attention, so if they don't get it here they'll go somewhere else to get it. If they do get attention here, they'll stay, create drama and we'll all be fighting in defense 99% of the time.
So ignore trolling asses and they'll go away

-One-
Inez AKA Starli
---------
"Starli/gets the party started like a car key" -Juice

"At times my going forward seems like retreat" -Common

"Obviously, I don't kill people. But sometimes I think I've killed parts of people's souls, their spirits. You know, maybe in breaking someone's heart - making them not believe in love or truth anymore. Those are the kinds of deaths that go forever." - Forest Whitaker

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner." -Johnny Castle

Proud SPAS associate
24986, This dont happen often....
Posted by NazDak, Wed Apr-12-00 04:25 AM
....but I agree with spirit, 100%. We've both seen the results when negativity becomes the primary focus of a public forum such as this. It's never good in the long run.
If you're posting to flame somebody about the blatantly ignorant comments they just contributed to the board, try emailing them. It saves alot of time, bandwidth, and frustration.
Peace,
Nazzie

In a Recent conversation with Maria...

Me: "Ass is important...I need to become one with nature!"

Maria: "So go stick your d*ck in a treehole!

"I'm so ahead of my time, my parents havent met yet"--Big L (RIP)

JazzyFatnastees "The Once and Future" In stores now.
Pick up Commons "Like Water for Chocolate"--In stores NOW.
D'angelo's "Voodoo" In stores now.
Street Team NYC...Runnin sh*t, for real....
24987, True Dat!
Posted by nushooz, Wed Apr-12-00 04:25 AM
Ignore the ignorance; I do!
But if you look closely, "Trollism" invaded this very positive message.
They are every where, MAAAAAAAAN!
Nu :*
I,I, I Can't Wait!
24988, Amen to that!
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-12-00 07:31 AM
I too peeped the "invasion"
--------------------------------------
"Everyone is entitled to my right opinion." - Anynomous

"I don't give a f*ck, I ain't goin out for a slice of the Devil's pie." - D'Angelo

"Flexible people don't get bent out of shape." - Anynomous

"Black folks harbor more "cliques" than a remote control." - ME

"If God one day struck me blind, your beauty I'd still see..." - Prince
24989, The thing that annoys me the most is..
Posted by Steve, Wed Apr-12-00 11:21 AM
not really the people who post blatantly negative and ignorant comments about the artists, but more the people who respond even more negatively in defence..that shit doesnt help! dont do it! I'll delete you!

I never catch everything though, that is why I agree with Spirit..just ignore the shit that you dont like (and this goes for ?uestlove too LOL).

whatever..nothing really works..just try to do ,you know, what spirit said.

Everyone needs to chill a bit overall, don't start these damn flame wars..Go walk outside and drink some orange juice instead of pushing buttons on a keypad wasting your time spreading ignorant negative nonsense for the sake of being angry at someone behind another computer. LOL.

I'm not putting down constructive criticism though..and I'd appreciate people to be receptive to constructive criticism and not put it down negatively..that just feeds the ish.

Whatever, I have a headache.

Peace,
Steve

Your post will get deleted IF you dont read: http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/general1/3292.html

Email:okaysteve@hotmail.com
IM:Gigfog
24990, RE: The thing that annoys me the most is..
Posted by Darbw, Mon Apr-17-00 08:01 AM
"I never catch everything though, that is why I agree with Spirit..just ignore the shit that you dont like"

I hear what you are saying but that leads to extreme boredom, if you are a fan of music. That is what I love about music that my man, Phil loves Bob Marley and I am on Peter Tosh, and we beef over it. It is only music. People just got to tow the line and remember if one hip hop cat says one thing than another will say the opposite, it has been on that ish for years.

Darbw
24991, true, push it up
Posted by MoJoTaters, Sat Apr-15-00 05:43 PM
"Cash rules everything around you, MOVE!"-Mos Def
24992, i will use the force.
Posted by qoolquest, Sat Apr-15-00 08:49 PM
i promise for a whole month not to respond to any bullish.....(gulp)

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb
anthony hamilton-soulquarian.jan

top 5 reasons why bfnh is my hero

1. he's online right now -
all he does is play
on the internet and lose
at competitive games. he's
just ignorin' your ass....
(hak's response to th(si)ckness as to why i'm "not on the boards" (as if y'all can pull me away.....)

2. where is your individuality? where
are your catchphrases? why
do you say smut as
if you invented it?
are you REALLY offering manbutter
by the buckets? y'all
muthafuckas are jacking our slang,
i seen the same shit
happen to K(love), 3 paragraphs
in your response, trying to
wild out.
man, y'all suck ass.
(my favorite ok(semi)vet response/bitching to the new freshmen class to how the boards have....gulp uh....fallen? (fill preference here)

3.i still think you're either
in possession of two chins
or two testicles. or,
sadly, both.
(hak showing extreme strength when the enemy tries to butter him up with nicenes...nigga like me would cave in....hak goes for the jugg...er adam's apple?)

4...if you are this
22/23 year old record company
skank (didn't know i peeped
how you effed up and
claimed to different ages did
you?) then we may have
a spot for you in
team XSV. actually, i
work for a production team
Cock 'n Fist productions
we manage Dr. Cockinbush
& Mr. Fistabutt...
(nothing makes my day more than a good card pull (in this case superhak to an okaynemisis sickness )

5........ i don't need
no stinkin' okayplayer to vent
off frustration. here's a
hint - take your ass
to http://www.h8r.com and look at
the front page - see?
see? that's where i
vent......
(freedom, independence! gotta love it. i wish i was bi-postal!)

this would be a top ten list but big hak said cut down on the sigs. so i shall.

....you still gettin beat down during the 3am-6am laser blowout saturday of the reunion!!!!!!

24993, yay
Posted by guest, Sun Apr-16-00 04:22 PM
>i promise for a whole month
>not to respond to any
>bullish.....(gulp)

pushing it up.

Thanks, Spirit.

angieee ('stress)

First book, The Broke Diaries, coming in about a year - March 2001, Random House.

"Okayplayer is addictive like Ebay" - Danja Mowf

"I'm an idiot, I just had to." - Okayplayer Moderator Steve

"is it that god damn funny? God damn. That's a god damn lot of money!" -Shawn Gee.
24994, always like this?
Posted by guest, Sun Apr-16-00 09:44 PM
i haven't been posting here long but i have to say it's like a damn war zone. has it always been like this?

peace

-madmonkey

"I DON'T KNOW KARATE BUT I KNOW CaRAZY!" -JAMES BROWN
24995, war zone?
Posted by guest, Mon Apr-17-00 05:27 AM
This board can be. But, hell, show me a place that doesn't have it's ups and downs.

Thing is, the only people that can make it better are the people who post. That's what this thread is about.

If people just want to bitch about it being effed up, they are free to go somewhere better.

That doesn't help the problem.

angieee ('stress)

First book, The Broke Diaries, coming in about a year - March 2001, Random House.

"Okayplayer is addictive like Ebay" - Danja Mowf

"I'm an idiot, I just had to." - Okayplayer Moderator Steve

"is it that god damn funny? God damn. That's a god damn lot of money!" -Shawn Gee.
24996, good advice.....
Posted by Finesse, Mon Apr-17-00 07:50 AM
I totally agree with you..... best way is ignore.... less stress.. less anger....

>---aka Lady_Finesse---@

Leo's Horoscope 4/17/00:
You might be attracting people like a magnet right now and your romantic possibilities could be getting pretty intense. Some interesting and unusual opportunities are liable to present themselves this week. People are likely to be impressed by you even if you don't leave the biggest tip or bring the greatest gift. There's no need to show off or to continuously try to impress people. People are likely to appreciate you regardless of what you do right now.

"If your house ain't in order, you ain't in order" - Toni Cade

24997, needs to be at top....
Posted by guest, Mon Apr-17-00 01:53 PM
people still aren't getting it......

peace

-madmonkey

"I DON'T KNOW KARATE BUT I KNOW CaRAZY!" -JAMES BROWN