Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectGotta reply
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24798&mesg_id=24809
24809, Gotta reply
Posted by Nesta, Wed Apr-26-00 07:50 AM
I thought that heads who said Bilal sounded too much like D were simply hating. I laid a smack down on bdub in his post and he deserved it because he was simply hating and wouldn't discuss the issue at hand, so I will not rescind that smack!! But Brainchild called me on it and I must speak the truth as I know it (c) Martin Lawrence.

Now "Soul Sista" is a hot ass track. I can't deny it. In fact I've been telling folks about the song for the last few days. I've been playing the track non-stop for the last two days. I love the song immensely, Saddiq is just too hot for me!!!!!

That being said, Bilal sounds damn near exactly like D'Ang on this cut. Listen to the hook. The phrasing is the same as D uses on Voodoo (i.e. The Line). Again, I'm not hating. I'm in love with this song, but damn if sometimes when I'm listening I just hear D and forget it's Bilal singing. And I'm not talking about the way I hear Marvin in D or I the way I hear Prince in D. Bilal didn't sound like D too much to me on LWFC, but here its undeniable, IMHO.

Bilal is clearly talented, but if his whole album sounds like he's standing in for D it'd be unfortunate.

I don't know though, if the production on the album is like "Soul Sista" the album can't be anywhere near wack, but I don't want an album of a cat sounding like D, I'd just prefer another D album. Maybe the comparison is inevitable.

BTW, GOT DAMN SADDIQ IS A BAD MAN!!!!!!

"Its spring again and I'm feelin fine!" - Greg Nice