Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThis conversation is upsetting!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24637&mesg_id=24684
24684, This conversation is upsetting!
Posted by Wendell, Thu Apr-27-00 02:34 PM
First of all, you went to a show at UCLA, well that should answer your question alone. What is the population of blacks at UCLA? It's simple demo-graphics. If blacks make up 10 % of the campus, you should expect a similar proportion of people in the stands. That was simple, wasn't it.

Now the hard part, someone used an ideology that was born over 100 years ago (the talented tenth theory) to explain the situation that black people are in today. That is the dumbest shit I've ever read on these boards. Our situation is based on an institutionalized racism that has taken years to dissolve. White people will never understand it. Asian people will never understand it. You have to walk a mile in a black man's/women's shoes to understand the issues that we live everyday, something that you can't do.

I have a great deal of respect for the ideals of our historically great thinkers, but realize this, those ideals are a product of their time period. The fundamental argument that only 1 in 10 people of any race can acheive success is ludicrous. Just like the other prominent thought of that time, blacks should seek vocational education to try and assimulate into popular culture, was flawed.

What we are ignoring is that white culture allowed these ideologies to live because they only allowed a small percentage of blacks to succeed, while holding down the masses. More cake for white people.

The simple answer is where there are large numbers of blacks, we will represent. On white college campuses you will not see a large black turnout.

There were some other thought that I could talk about (blacks don't have money), but I will let them go.

Peace

Pseudonym-less Wendell